From Lucas Vickers <lucasvick...@gmail.com>
Subject using a different log4j.properties file per classes directory
Date Sun, 12 Jul 2009 00:01:26 GMT
Hello,
Excuse my simple question as I am new to tomcat/log4j.
I have looked at the mailing list and did some googling but no luck.

What I would like to do is have my tomcat installation use one log file, and
then my own servlet use a different log file.

./common/classes/log4j.properties =

log4j.rootLogger=INFO, R
log4j.appender.R.File=${catalina.home}/logs/tomcat.log
log4j.appender.R.MaxFileSize=100MB
log4j.appender.R.MaxBackupIndex=50
log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=%p %t %c - %m%n

./webapps/servlets-examples/WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties =

log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, R
log4j.appender.R.File=${catalina.home}/logs/tabs.log
log4j.appender.R.MaxFileSize=10MB
log4j.appender.R.MaxBackupIndex=100
log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=%p %t %c - %m%n

Ideal result is that my class in /servlets-examples will be in DEBUG level
and will output to the "tabs.log"

It appears that my servlet-examples is outputting to tomcat.og and is in
INFO level.

Could anyone please help me figure out what I am missing.
Many thanks,
Lucas