From "Jacob Kjome" <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: log4j properteis set up for different packages
Date Mon, 20 Jul 2009 14:19:15 GMT
You seem to be attempting to use additivity to achieve your desired results,
except your syntax is entirely wrong.  You are applying additivity to the
appenders, when additivity applies to loggers.

First of all, let's generalize your requirements.  Is it the case that you
merely want the "com.org.do.presentation.don" and child loggers to go to
"a.log", but are ok with said logger (along with all other loggers) showing up
in the other logs inherited from the root logger?  If so, you don't need the
added complexity of additivity.  Just do....

log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, stdout, R, ALERTS
log4j.logger.com.org.do.presentation.don=DEBUG, WEB

BTW, I recommend that you set the level on the rootLogger to something like
"WARN" or, at least "INFO" to avoid massive amounts of logging from arbitrary
loggers like those in the apache commons libraries or struts that you probably
don't care about unless they are at WARN or above.  If you need individual
packages (and their children) to log at a less stringent level, then you can
explicitly declare those.

If you do want to use additivity, then do...

log4j.additivity.com.org.do.presentation.don=false

Jake