From Moley Harey <moleyha...@gmail.com>
Subject Chainsaw Java Web Start interface not working
Date Tue, 08 Sep 2009 15:14:20 GMT
Hi folks,

I have configured my Chainsaw installation following the steps proposed for
that:

1. I installed the signed jars that Scott proposed me from log4j site.
2. In my JNLP file I added those files and I did another JNLP file for the
other non signed jars (commons-codec-1.3.jar, commons-httpclient-3.1.jar,
commons-logging-1.1.1.jar), and included this JNLP file in the previous one.

When I launch Chainsaw using the main JNLP file it launches well,
MySocketReceiver is there too, here is my Chainsaw config file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<!DOCTYPE log4j:configuration PUBLIC "-//log4j/log4j Configuration//EN"
"log4j.dtd">
<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/"
debug="false">
   <plugin name="SocketReceiver"
class="org.apache.log4j.net.SocketReceiver">
     <param name="active" value="false"/>
     <param name="name" value="MySocketReceiver" />
     <param name="port" value="4445" />
   </plugin>
   <root>
    <level value="debug"/>
   </root>
    <logger name="org.apache.log4j">
        <level value="off"/>
    </logger>
</log4j:configuration>

In Chainsaw log display I see the following message at the end:

Level INFO
Logger org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.messages.MessageCenter
Time 2009-09-08 16:59:56,328
Thread Thread-21
Message SocketReceiver started!
NDC null
Class org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LogUI$30
Method pluginStarted
Line 1091
File LogUI.java

So I assumed the application was launched OK and in my remote machine port
4445 (which is the one used to connect) would be open.

To test that, I have implemented a Java class in my remote machine that
sends log4j messages to "MySocketReceiver". This is the log4j file that is
used in this test class:

# Set root logger level to DEBUG and its only appender to ConsoleAppender.
log4j.rootCategory=DEBUG,stdout,A1

# ConsoleAppender

# Pattern to output the caller's file name and line number.
log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%d | %-5r | %-5p | %c | %t:%x
| %m%n

# A1 is set to be a SocketAppender sending its output to the server running
on the remote host, port 4445
log4j.appender.A1=org.apache.log4j.net.SocketAppender
log4j.appender.A1.Port=4445
log4j.appender.A1.RemoteHost=localhost

I have run the application but no messages are displayed into Chainsaw. I
have checked that if I launch it as stanalone in the remote machine my test
can send correctly messages but if I launch it remotely using Java Web Start
it can't.

Maybe I am wrong, but is it possible to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Mh