From "Jacob Kjome" <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Verifying initialization
Date Mon, 14 Sep 2009 14:36:37 GMT
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 08:55:14 +0100
  Michael Erskine <michael.erskine@ketech.com> wrote:
>> From: Jacob Kjome [mailto:hoju@visi.com]
>> Subject: Re: Verifying initialization
>> have you tried using?.....
>>  -Dlog4j.debug=true
>
> I think what is being discussed here (correct me if I'm wrong) is the
>_unattended_ programmatic verification of initialisation rather than a
>one-time human-observed verification or additional verbosity (that nobody
>will read anyway!). If the logging isn't working as expected then I usually
>have one or more flags set that will indicate the problem in any dashboards,
>GUIs, JConsoles, status reports, what-have-you. rather than find out after 30
>days of uptime that there's no audit trail!

I understand what is desired.  And it would certainly be possible to write
such a thing.  However, I think it is overkill.  Your config file is either
valid or not.  If you run it once with -Dlog4j.debug=true and don't find any
issues, then, in my book, you are about 99% sure that everything is good to
go.  And reloading the same unmodified configuration at a later date in a new
JVM should not change that fact.  Again, it's either right or it's not.  That
is unless Log4j was embedded with a super-secret randomizer just to mess with
your head?  Thankfully, given the number of eyes on the codebase over the
years, I am fairly certain this is not the case.

So, no, there is nothing to validate runtime configuration.  However, the
reason none exists is probably because it's not needed 99.999999999% of the
time and one-time human validation using -Dlog4j.debug=true is enough for most
people.  If it worked once, it ought to work again.

Jake