From Pat Farrell <pfarr...@pfarrell.com>
Subject Re: bizarre NPE exception
Date Sat, 14 Nov 2009 14:32:48 GMT
Juha Laiho wrote:
>> Which exact log4j version are you using?

You are correct, 1.2.15

Hmmm, I thought I was using Sun's 1.6 but

java -version
java version "1.6.0_0"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.4.1) (6b14-1.4.1-0ubuntu12)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 14.0-b08, mixed mode)

I'll switch to Sun's and see if that makes a difference

> That being said, I'm somewhat at loss as to how a NullPointerException
> would be thrown in this. Drilling down through the stack trace, the NPE
> is initially thrown by System.arrayCopy, which is documented to throw it
> when either source or destination arrays are null.

> .... so, I feel I'm getting out of my depth: I don't see how either of
> these could be null.

While i haven't dove into the log4j code as you did, I too think this is
more likely to be a log4j bug than in my calling code, just because I've
kept adding more guards to make sure than none of the things I pass or
use are null.

More once I try the sun JVM

Pat

--