From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: bizarre NPE exception
Date Mon, 16 Nov 2009 23:37:07 GMT

Is this actually bombing out your code or is the exception just printed to
System.err?  If the latter, then this does not constitute and "uncaught
exception... requiring immediate attention".

Given that it happens after a redeploy cycles, it is likely the infamous Tomcat
bug (though they probably don't consider it one) where normally static final
constants are nulled by Tomcat code to work around garbage collection bugs while
leaving the classloader in-tact.  Therefore, next time the constant, which in
normal usage cannot possibly be null, is reference and a method on it is executed,
a NullPointerException results.

You say you are not using Tomcat, but your server might be using Tomcat under the
covers.  In any case, please indicate whether the exception actually interrupts
your program or the stack trace is simply printed to System.err.  Though, if
Tomcat's classloader manipulation is the culprit, there's not much we can do in
either case.

Jake