From Pat Farrell <pfarr...@pfarrell.com>
Subject Re: bizarre NPE exception
Date Thu, 19 Nov 2009 06:41:50 GMT
Brett Randall wrote:
> You mentioned that this problem occurs when deploying a new WAR file - that
> would agree with aforementioned likely classloader disposal problems. And it
> currently agrees with your stack traces and the NPE you are seeing, which
> looks to relate to a static char[] in that class, which is caching the time
> in HH:mm:ss format for performance reasons.

Interesting, the "that class" is one of the legacy Tomcat classes,
right? there are no static char[] in my code near there.

I've changed over to EnhancedPatternLayout, and that is not sufficient
to make it go away, I'm still getting NPE.

Exception in thread "DbC:User"
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.log4j.spi.LocationInfo.<init>(LocationInfo.java:112)
        at
org.apache.log4j.spi.LoggingEvent.getLocationInformation(LoggingEvent.java:247)
        at
org.apache.log4j.pattern.LineLocationPatternConverter.format(LineLocationPatternConverter.java:58)
        at
org.apache.log4j.pattern.BridgePatternConverter.format(BridgePatternConverter.java:119)
        at
org.apache.log4j.EnhancedPatternLayout.format(EnhancedPatternLayout.java:533)
        at
org.apache.log4j.WriterAppender.subAppend(WriterAppender.java:302)
        at org.apache.log4j.WriterAppender.append(WriterAppender.java:160)
        at
org.apache.log4j.AppenderSkeleton.doAppend(AppenderSkeleton.java:251)
        at
org.apache.log4j.helpers.AppenderAttachableImpl.appendLoopOnAppenders(AppenderAttachableImpl.java:66)
        at org.apache.log4j.Category.callAppenders(Category.java:206)
        at org.apache.log4j.Category.forcedLog(Category.java:391)
        at org.apache.log4j.Logger.trace(Logger.java:172)
        at
com.pfarrell.utils.collections.DatabaseCache.makeRefreshString(DatabaseCache.java:148)
        at
com.pfarrell.utils.collections.DatabaseCache.refreshValues(DatabaseCache.java:161)
        at
com.pfarrell.utils.collections.DatabaseCache.processAll(DatabaseCache.java:126)
        at
com.pfarrell.utils.collections.WorkingSetCache.run(WorkingSetCache.java:159)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Exception in thread "DbC:Person"
--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/