From Bender Heri <hben...@ergonomics.ch>
Subject AW: Is DailyRollingFileAppender efficient or safe to use if log file is huge?
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2009 06:36:12 GMT
logfiles up to 200 MB didnt throw any problems (on windows XP and winserver2003 with NTFS).
Heri

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: shaoxianyang [mailto:ysxsusan@hotmail.com]
Gesendet: Montag, 2. November 2009 21:47
An: log4j-user@logging.apache.org
Betreff: Is DailyRollingFileAppender efficient or safe to use if log file is huge?

Hi,

I am using log4j 1.2.15.   I am pondering between DailyRollingFileAppender
and RollingFileAppender.

For RollingFileAppender, I can enforce file size limit and MaxBackupIndex.
But for DailyRollingFileAppender, i can not limit either.

Aside from being difficult to plan disk space usage in advance, does DailyRollingFileAppender
cause inefficiency if the log file become huge?  In theory, the log4j just keeps a fiel descriptor
and append to the end.  It
should not matter that much if the log file is big or small.

Did I miss anything?  Any feedback or recommendation is appreciated.

Thanks.

Shaoxian Yang