From "Habermann, Tobias" <T.Haberm...@gsi.de>
Subject RollingFileAppender but keeping some data
Date Fri, 11 Dec 2009 14:00:03 GMT
Hi
I am using log4j in a Controlsystem GUI to log different hardware states (e.g. temperatures,
pressure, etc.). The user needs to have access to = the data from the last 4 days always.
To display the data I read it from = the logfiles. Right now I use a simple FileAppender.
But after some time = the files get very big. I would like to have something like a = RollingFileAppender
that archives the log file but instead of starting a = new File, it should always keep the
data from the last 4 days in the file.=20 Maybe I should mention that I am not a java expert.=20
Is there a simple way to implement this?=20 Should I overwrite the RollingFileAppender.rollOver()
?
Or should I stay with the FileAppender and write an independent class = that opens the logfile
and removes any entries that are older than 4 = days?

Regards
Tobias Habermann

--
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH
Planckstraße 1

Geschäftsführung: Professor Dr. Dr. h.c. Horst Stöcker, Christiane Neumann

Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: Dr. Beatrix Vierkorn-Rudolph
Stellvertreter: Ministerialdirigent Dr. Rolf Bernhardt