From Michael Erskine <mse...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Creating a log4j appender that helps in "batching up" messages before logging into the file
Date Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:09:18 GMT
On 26 February 2010 01:13, ramakrishna menon <rmenon.us@gmail.com> wrote:
> We use log4j extensively in our application and need to reduce the
> overhead of log4j writes into file. We can trade off memory at this
> stage for cpu cycles. One way I was thinking of was that we log into
> memory for a given "batch" of messages and then we flush this memory
> structure when we hit a configured batch size where we write all the
> messages in one shot into the file.

Surely your operating system should be buffering filesystem writes for you!

Seriously though, you wouldn't be trading off memory for CPU cycles:
you'd be deferring the writes until a more convenient time and most
probably using additional CPU cycles as a result!

If you have performance issues in your application then I'd suggest
you address them directly. If logging is slowing your application then
switch it off. If you require an audit trail, however, then basic
Log4j is probably not the right way to go: at the very least, write a
custom appender that does _exactly_ what you need. AppenderSkeleton is
a good starting point: study the code of the other appenders to see
how they achieve what they need.

I have written quite a few custom appenders that operate under heavy
load in heavily multithreaded systems and they all follow the same
pattern: quickly append a lightweight representation of the
LoggingEvent* to a java.util.Deque<> and perform writes (to file,
JDBC, socket, etc.) in a daemon thread.

[*] not the LoggingEvent itself - it has excess baggage!

I recommend the book Java Performance Tuning by Jack Shirazi published
by O'Reilly. Not just for Java performance geeks but for ALL Java
developers! And ALWAYS read the code of any libraries you're thinking
of using!

Regards,
Michael Erskine