From "James A. N. Stauffer" <stauffer.ja...@gmail.com>
Subject Measuring logging performance impact (including string concatenation)
Date Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:53:18 GMT
Our applications have extensive use of logging (most commons-logging
over log4j, and j.u.l).  We use j.u.l for code that runs in an applet
so we don't incur the cost of an extra jar download.  Since we don't
have access to message formats, we incur the cost the log message
string concatenation even when the level is turned off.  We could wrap
every log call in a level check but that makes the code more messy.
Is there a good way to measure the performance impact (i.e. % of CPU
time) used for logging statements (include the string concatenation
for the log message)?

--
James A. N. Stauffer        http://www.geocities.com/stauffer_james/