From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: jboss log issue
Date Sat, 27 Mar 2010 20:09:01 GMT
As I mentioned in a private email to you, the most likely cause I can think of is
that application code is calling confgure() (using of of the Log4j Configurator
classes) at some point during the running application.  If the application is
using the same Log4j Logger Repository as the server, then any call to confgiure()
will modify the server's logging configuration, which could explain the sudden
lack of logging to server.log.

Note that it is bad form for an application to call configure() unless it first
ensures it is using it's own Logger repository.  Usually one would set up a
ServletContextListener that takes care of this, giving the deployer the choice of
calling configure() or not by including the configuration in web.xml or not.

I do not use JBoss, so I'm not 100% sure what the solution might be.  I know they
have a special unified classloader concept so, I'm not sure how well the following
suggestion might work, but you can try it...

Try configuring any webapp that runs under JBoss to use child-first (otherwise
know as parent-last) classloading.  Make sure you place log4j.jar in WEB-INF/lib.
  This will insulate your server Log4j configuration from getting overwritten by
calls to configure() by hosted applications.  JBoss docs describe this an other
solutions...

http://docs.jboss.org/process-guide/en/html/logging.html#d0e3286
http://community.jboss.org/wiki/log4jrepositoryselector

Someone also described the process in 3 simple steps for JBoss-4.2.2...
http://community.jboss.org/message/198690#198690

Also, for JBoss-6.0+, there is, apparently, a new POJO Logging Service that you
might want to read about.
https://community.jboss.org/wiki/LoggingPOJOServiceRequirements

Note that I obtained all this information from a quick Google search.  Much more
information is out there.  I encourage you do some research.

Jake