From Doal Miller <Doal.Mil...@mir3.com>
Subject RE: Question about using org.apache.log4j.rolling.RollingFileAppender
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2010 16:05:44 GMT
Thanks for the reply. I can probably get away with using TimeBasedRollingPolicy. If not maybe
I'll look into the work you proposed. Thanks.

Doal Miller
Sr. Software Engineer

Real-Time Universal Notification & Response Technology(tm)

Direct:   858.724.1278
Cell:      760.613.6960
Email:   doal.miller@mir3.com

Click here to experience the MIR3 demo >

-----Original Message-----
From: Curt Arnold [mailto:curt.arnld@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Curt Arnold
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2010 8:27 PM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: Question about using org.apache.log4j.rolling.RollingFileAppender

On Mar 15, 2010, at 6:48 PM, Doal Miller wrote:

> I've been playing around with the RollingFileAppender out of the extra jar and I've gotten
it working in a couple of different ways but I'm not getting exactly what I want.

> What I want is to roll a file when the maximum size is reached and to keep a large number
of files around, like around 250. With my following configuration file it rolls at 10,000
bytes but the FixedWindowRollingPolicy doesn't allow me to keep over 12 files. If I try to
set MaxIndex higher than 12 it complains and resets it. I tried using the TimeBasedRollingPolicy
instead, in conjunction with SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy but I guess TimeBasedRollingPolicy
uses its own triggering policy.

> Is there a way to set the max number of files for the FixedWindowRollingPolicy to 250
without cracking open the code?

> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

 The limit on maximum files was added since things get very slow if you rename 250 files one
at a time (delete .250, rename .249 to .250, rename .248 to .249, etc).

Renaming log files is inherently risky and platform dependent.  Writing an RFA alternative
using java.nio and avoiding renames has been on my to-do list for a long time.