From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about file locking
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2010 03:49:57 GMT

On Mar 17, 2010, at 10:13 AM, Tasso Angelidis wrote:

> I'm using log4j in a pretty vanilla way... No extra applications logging to the same
file... 1 logger per class. Using RollingFileAppender...

> Is the file exclusively locked or share locked?
>
> And for Windows we all know that sometimes a file can remain locked after unexpected
program termination how is this dealt with?

All the built-in file appenders predate the introduction of java.nio which added O/S level
locking mechanisms.  There is nothing at the log4j level that attempts to lock or to release
locks.  All that stuff is at the JVM level and is Java implementation specific.