From "Saurabh Agrawal" <saurabh.agra...@criticalpath.net>
Subject RE: Cannot configure apache-log4j-extras-1.0 with apache-log4j-1 for time based log rotation
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2010 18:30:37 GMT
Dear Jake,

Thanks for replying this query.
Could you please tell me how to configure the application to use child-first
classloading?

Regards,
Saurabh Agrawal

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacob Kjome [mailto:hoju@visi.com]
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2010 10:54 PM
To: Log4J Users List; saurabh.agrawal@criticalpath.net
Subject: Re: Cannot configure apache-log4j-extras-1.0 with apache-log4j-1
for time based log rotation

My guess is that you have classloading issues.  What server are you using?
I'll bet it is not configured to use child-first (a.k.a parent-last)
classloading and that the server has a copy of log4j.jar in the server
classpath.

In this situation, the log4j.jar in the server classpath would take
precedence to any log4j.jar you included in WEB-INF/lib and be unable to
find the rolling.RollingFileAppender located in the extras jar stored in
WEB-INF/lib.

You can resolve this either by placing the extras jar in the server
classpath alongside the log4j.jar already there or configure your
application to use child-first classloading.

Jake

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 22:27:11 +0530
  "Saurabh Agrawal" <saurabh.agrawal@criticalpath.net> wrote:
> Hi Friends,
>

> Tomcat version: apache-tomcat-5.5.27
>
> Operating System: SunOS 10.0 / Linux
>

> Problem:
>
> I've tried many times to configure apache-log4j-extras-1.0 with
> apache-log4j-1.2.16, but it is still failing to load classes from
> configure
> apache-log4j-extras-1.0 JAR file.
>
> What I want to do: Actually I want to do time based log rotation the
> my application specific log files. I could able to configure using
> 'net.cp.ps.sdk.util.log.DailyRollingFileAppender' class, but few
> problems are reported on Apache site for this class.
>
> Solution I can think of: So, I have to look for another option for
> 'net.cp.ps.sdk.util.log.DailyRollingFileAppender' class, and I found
> 'org.apache.log4j.rolling.RollingFileAppender' class and can use
> 'org.apache.log4j.rolling.TimeBasedRollingPolicy' in that.
>

> Steps I performed so far:
>
> 1. Downloaded apache-log4j-extras-1.0 with apache-log4j-1.2.16 JAR
> files from web.
>
> 2. Renamed apache-log4j-1.2.16.jar to simple 'log4j.jar'.
>
> 3. Copied apache-log4j-extras-1.0.jar in ~/WEB-INF/lib directory,
> where my old log4j is present.
>
> 4. Extracted new log4j.jar (1.2.16).
>
> 5. Edited the pom.xml file from new 'log4j.jar' to include
> 'apache-log4j-extras-1.0'. Steps are described here: (
> <https://wiki.jasig.org/display/UPM30/log4j.xml>
> https://wiki.jasig.org/display/UPM30/log4j.xml).
>
> 6. Created jar file again, after editing pom.xml.
>
> 7. Then I added following configuration block, in my application
> specific log-conf.xml (present in ~/WEB-INF/etc/):
>
> <!-- Presentation Server Access log appender -->
>
> <appender name="access-log"
> class="org.apache.log4j.rolling.RollingFileAppender">
>
>      <File>WEB-INF/log-files/access.log</File>
>
>      <rollingPolicy
> class="org.apache.log4j.rolling.TimeBasedRollingPolicy">
>

> <FileNamePattern>WEB-INF/log-files/access.log.%d{yyyy-MM-dd}.log</File
> NamePa
> ttern> </rollingPolicy>
>
>      <layout class="org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout">
>
>      <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d{dd.MM.yyyy
> HH:mm:ss,SSS} [%t] %c %x%n %-5p - %m%n"/> </layout>
>

> </appender> but, still I am getting following exception:
>

> 7202 [main] WARN net.cp.ps.sdk.server.ServerConfig - thread[main]
> Unable to parse invite request mappings: [The
XPath='invite-requests/invite-mapping'