From Scott Deboy <scott.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: problem using Chainsaw, "found non matching line"
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2010 06:42:04 GMT
I've committed a fix to the regexp building logic to correctly escape regexp
characters (including the pipe character) in svn 979552.

I've also uploaded a new chainsaw standalone.zip to
http://people.apache.org/~sdeboy/

I was able to parse a log file with your provided patternlayout using:

       <param name="timestampFormat" value="dd MMM yyyy HH:mm:ss,SSS"/>
       <param name="logFormat" value="[TIMESTAMP] [LEVEL] user: [PROP(USER)]
LOGGER | MESSAGE"/>

I also tested greater than and less than symbols as delimiters and they work
fine, but you have to use a layout which uses the encoded symbols in the xml
config file:

       <param name="logFormat" value="&lt;TIMESTAMP&gt; &lt;LEVEL&gt; user:
&lt;PROP(USER)&gt; LOGGER | MESSAGE"/>

You may want to use org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.vfs.VFSLogFilePatternReceiver
instead - it more reliably tails, and can tail files using any of the file
systems supported by Jakarta Commons-VFS (including tailing over ssh).
Changing the receiver class name should be all you need to do to use it..

Let me know if the latest standalone zip file works for you.

Scott

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 1:55 AM, Florian Boulay <florian.boulay@gmail.com>wrote:

> When using the format *[TIMESTAMP] **, the updated version of Chainsaw
> manages to parse 4 lines of my log file. The old version does not manage to
> do it.
> However the *** get a lot of lines ! It does not stop when it encounters a
> \r\n
>
> 2010/7/26 Florian Boulay <florian.boulay@gmail.com>
>
> > Ok I answered to quickly. The updated version still parses my log file,
> but
> > it always display : "found non matching line:..."
> >
> > 2010/7/26 Florian Boulay <florian.boulay@gmail.com>
> >
> > Hi,
> >>
> >> I tried the format [TIMESTAMP] [LEVEL] * LOGGER | MESSAGE with the
> >> official version of Chainsaw and the updated version found here :
> >> http://people.apache.org/~sdeboy/ <http://people.apache.org/%7Esdeboy/><
> http://people.apache.org/%7Esdeboy/>and It did not work.
> >>
> >> On the updated version, nothing happen when choosing my chainsaw confg
> >> file. No error message in the tab "chainsaw-log". Sound like it did not
> >> parse any file. I also tried to delete all files in my .chainsaw
> directory,
> >> but it does not change the behavior of Chainsaw. Maybe I should try with
> >> SocketAppender instead of loading a local file.
> >>
> >> 2010/7/26 Scott Deboy <scott.deboy@gmail.com>
> >>
> >> Can you try

> see

> HH:mm:ss,SSS"/>