From Scott Deboy <scott.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: problem using Chainsaw, "found non matching line"
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2010 00:39:40 GMT
Florian's locale is French, so simpledateformat is constructing timestamps
with a dot in the month, which the regular expression wasn't taking into
account in LogFilePatternReceiver...I've committed a fix to the receivers
companion in svn 980277 and I've uploaded a version of Chainsaw with the fix
to http://people.apache.org/~sdeboy/

Feedback appreciated.

Scott

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 1:36 AM, Florian Boulay <f.mail.list@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> Thnaks for finding this bug, but unfortunately the last release does not
> fix
> the issue. I tried with a LogFilePatternReceiver and with theses 2 formats
> :
> - [TIMESTAMP] [LEVEL] user: [PROP(*)] LOGGER | MESSAGE
> - [TIMESTAMP] [LEVEL] user: [PROP(USER)] LOGGER | MESSAGE
>
> Another bug : when loading the Chainsaw config file the parameter "name"
> (<param name="name" value="App Dev"/>) does not seem to considered. Instead
> the name of the displayed receiver is "logFileReceiver".
>
> I am still searching why this does not work.
>
> 2010/7/27 Scott Deboy <scott.deboy@gmail.com>
>
> > I've committed a fix to the regexp building logic to correctly escape
> > regexp
> > characters (including the pipe character) in svn 979552.
> >
> > I've also uploaded a new chainsaw standalone.zip to
> > http://people.apache.org/~sdeboy/ <http://people.apache.org/%7Esdeboy/><
> http://people.apache.org/%7Esdeboy/>
> >
> > I was able to parse a log file with your provided patternlayout using:
> >
> >       <param name="timestampFormat" value="dd MMM yyyy HH:mm:ss,SSS"/>
> >       <param name="logFormat" value="[TIMESTAMP] [LEVEL] user:
> [PROP(USER)]
> > LOGGER | MESSAGE"/>
> >
> > I also tested greater than and less than symbols as delimiters and they
> > work
> > fine, but you have to use a layout which uses the encoded symbols in the
> > xml
> > config file:
> >
> >       <param name="logFormat" value="&lt;TIMESTAMP&gt; &lt;LEVEL&gt;
> user:
> > &lt;PROP(USER)&gt; LOGGER | MESSAGE"/>
> >
> > You may want to use
> org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.vfs.VFSLogFilePatternReceiver
> > instead - it more reliably tails, and can tail files using any of the
> file
> > systems supported by Jakarta Commons-VFS (including tailing over ssh).
> > Changing the receiver class name should be all you need to do to use it..
> >
> > Let me know if the latest standalone zip file works for you.
> >
> > Scott
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 1:55 AM, Florian Boulay <
> florian.boulay@gmail.com
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > When using the format *[TIMESTAMP] **, the updated version of Chainsaw
> > > manages to parse 4 lines of my log file. The old version does not
> manage
> > > do it.
> > > However the *** get a lot of lines ! It does not stop when it
> [...]
MMM yyyy

> > > HH:mm:ss,SSS"/>
> [*]
> > *