From "Jacob Kjome" <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Default Initialization under Tomcat (5, 6)
Date Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:51:25 GMT
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 13:49:06 -0700
  Kevin Kruzich <kkruzich@mshift.com> wrote:

> > You are going to have to be more precise about what exactly you don't
> > understand about these instructions.  If you follow them, you will see
> > Tomcat logging through Log4j.  I've done it and I know it works.  If you
> > find these instructions a pain in the [you know what], I don't blame
> > you.  But the cause of the pain has nothing to do with Log4j and
> > everything to do with Tomcat.  If you have complaints, I encourage you
> > to send them to the Tomcat team.
>

> This right here. Textbook case:
>
> >> # Build or download the additional logging components. See the extras
> >> components documentation for details.
> (http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/extras.html)

Ok, this is my last comment on this.  Again this is a TOMCAT issue not a Log4j
issue.  Please send further questions about this process to Tomcat.

> There is no documentation here or in the resultant links that mention
>anything about log4j. Also "A number of additional third party components may
>be used with Apache Tomcat. "
>
> may be used means I don't want to use them.

I read the instructions.  They say to build or download.....
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/extras.html#Downloading

Those instructions pointed me to (they don't link to it, they just say the
Tomcat download page, which this is)....
http://tomcat.apache.org/download-60.cgi

Then they say to select "Browse" form the "Quick Navigation" links.  The
specific link will change depending on the mirror being used, but the link
provided to me was....
http://apache.ziply.com/tomcat/tomcat-6/v6.0.28

Then they say to go into the "bin/extras" directory and download the following
components....
http://apache.ziply.com/tomcat/tomcat-6/v6.0.28/bin/extras/tomcat-juli.jar
http://apache.ziply.com/tomcat/tomcat-6/v6.0.28/bin/extras/tomcat-juli-adapters.jar

Now that you have these, re-read the instructions provided at...
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/logging.html#log4j

> This section is absent from the 5.5 docs. Is it entirely necessary?

The logging system they use in Tomcat6 does not apply to Tomcat5.5.  It is
new, hence the reason why you didn't have to bother with this in Tomcat 5.5.

> ---
>
> I'm understanding there are mainly 2x things necessary for log4j to work:
>log4j.jar and log4j.properties. Just an hour ago I dropped both of these into
>a tomcat5 install and boom, it works. tomcat6... I've moved the files around
>to at least 5 different places and nothing.

Because, again, you didn't follow the instructions which I have exhaustively
detailed above.

>Fortunately I'm prototyping on virtual machines and I can do an install from
>scratch quickly. I'm doing a new tomcat6 from scratch (centos 5, jpackage
>tomcat6) --so we'll see how this one goes.
>
> This is mainly about getting central logging. Whether it's from apps,
>servers, or both... I don't care right now. I just need something feeding a
>file, feeding syslog.

For future reference, please read the documentation first and follow the
instructions provided.  Keep in mind that your question is really off-topic.
It has to do with Tomcat, not Log4j.  I'm about the only person on this list
that would bother answering a Tomcat question here.  I only do it because I
understand Tomcat6 logging and figured I could be of help.  What I did not
imagine that I'd have to do is spell out another product's documentation for
you.  I will not be doing such a thing in the future.  We support Log4j here,
not Tomcat.

Jake