From "Jacob Kjome" <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: log4j
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2010 12:44:06 GMT
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 17:59:23 +0530
  Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Jacob Kjome <hoju@visi.com> wrote:
>> When -Dlog4j.debug=true is set, Log4j prints its configuration progress to
>> System.err.  With this, you should be able to see which config file is being
>> picked up
>
> Thanks Jake.
>
> Thanks, I could see it on catalina.out file where in system.out and
> system.err files goes.
>
>> You can run your appender at a specified time by not placing
>> log4j.properties in the classpath.  But then you'll have to manually
>> configure it at some later point.
>>
> Please help me understand by providing examples.
>
> Basically if i set log4j.appender.R.DatePattern='.'yyyy-MM-dd in
> log4j.properties It rolls over at midnight. is there a way to roll
> over at say 12:00 Noon afternoon

Oh, I see.  Sorry, I thought you were asking if you could delay instantiation
of your appender.  Rather, you want to define when it rolls.  See:

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/DailyRollingFileAppender.html

As you can see, DailyRollingFileAppender is somewhat lacking in flexibility.
You may have more luck with the Log4j-extras companion [1].  Specifically,
RollingFileAppender [2] with a TimeBasedRollingPolicy [3].

[1] http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/extras/index.html
[2]
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/extras/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/rolling/RollingFileAppender.html
[3]