From "Jacob Kjome" <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: log4j
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2010 13:36:09 GMT
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 18:32:31 +0530
  Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Jacob Kjome <hoju@visi.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 17:59:23 +0530
>>  Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks Jake.
>>>
>>> Thanks, I could see it on catalina.out file where in system.out and
>>> system.err files goes.

>>> Please help me understand by providing examples.
>>>
>>> Basically if i set log4j.appender.R.DatePattern='.'yyyy-MM-dd in
>>> log4j.properties It rolls over at midnight. is there a way to roll
>>> over at say 12:00 Noon afternoon
>>>

>> Oh, I see.  Sorry, I thought you were asking if you could delay
>> instantiation of your appender.  Rather, you want to define when it rolls.
>> See:
>>
>> http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/DailyRollingFileAppender.html
>>
>> As you can see, DailyRollingFileAppender is somewhat lacking in
>> flexibility.  You may have more luck with the Log4j-extras companion [1].
>> Specifically, RollingFileAppender [2] with a TimeBasedRollingPolicy [3].
>>
>> [1] http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/extras/index.html
>> [2]
>> http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/extras/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/rolling/RollingFileAppender.html
>> [3]
>> http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/extras/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/rolling/TimeBasedRollingPolicy.html
>>

>> Jake
>
> Jake,
>
> I referred to
>http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/extras/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/rolling/TimeBasedRollingPolicy.html
> it has only two options
>
> /wombat/folder/foo.%d (Daily rollover (at midnight). Due to the
> omission of the optional time and date pattern for the %d token
> specifier, the default pattern of "yyyy-MM-dd" is assumed, which
> corresponds to daily rollover.)
>
> /wombat/foo.%d{yyyy-MM}.log (Rollover at the beginning of each month.)
>
> Not sure though how it would fit it into my specific needs.

You're not reading closely enough.  The first example leaves off the "optional
time and date".  The second example leaves off the "optional time".  Using the
optional time is the key.

The Logback docs contain some more documentation on the
TimeBasedRollingPolicy, which shows some time configuration.  That said, it
doesn't provide an example for using a specific time of day.  You might want
to post a separate thread on the Log4j-user list or even the Logback list to
see if someone knows the proper syntax.  It seems like it should be possible.

http://logback.qos.ch/manual/appenders.html#TimeBasedRollingPolicy

You should be able to go by this documentation as both the Log4j-extras and
Logback implementations have the same origin: the discontinued Log4j 1.3
effort.

Jake