From "Jacob Kjome" <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Cannot configure apache-log4j-extras-1.0 with apache-log4j-1 for time based log rotation
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2010 21:51:23 GMT
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 00:57:48 +0530
  "Saurabh Agrawal" <saurabh.agrawal@criticalpath.net> wrote:
> Sorry, Jake. But I think you've missed the server name in my first email.
> It's Apache Tomcat.
>
> ***
> Tomcat version: apache-tomcat-5.5.27
> ***

Whoops.  I guess I did miss that.   That presents a problem, though.  Tomcat
uses child-first classloading by default, at least when running under the
standalone scripts.

How are you running it?  Are you running it within an IDE or something?

Also, I took a closer look at your config.  It looks like Logback
configuration, not Log4j configuration.  See here for config...

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/extras/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/rolling/RollingFileAppender.html

The config at the link you mentioned (
https://wiki.jasig.org/display/UPM30/log4j.xml ) actually looks correct to me,
but is different than what you mentioned below.

You also mention that you edited the pom.xml file in log4j.jar?  That's not he
pom file to edit.  The pom.xml to edit is your own pom.xml to contain the
dependency.

Please check the resultant WAR file to ensure that the files you think are
supposed to be there actually are there.

Jake

> Thanks for your help.
>
> Regards,
> Saurabh Agrawal

>>> 'org.apache.log4j.rolling.RollingFileAppender' class and can use
>>> 'org.apache.log4j.rolling.TimeBasedRollingPolicy' in that.
>>>

>>> Steps I performed so far:
>>>
>>> 1. Downloaded apache-log4j-extras-1.0 with apache-log4j-1.2.16 JAR
>>> files from web.
>>>
>>> 2. Renamed apache-log4j-1.2.16.jar to simple 'log4j.jar'.
>>>
>>> 3. Copied apache-log4j-extras-1.0.jar in ~/WEB-INF/lib directory,
>>> where my old log4j is present.
>>>
>>> 4. Extracted new log4j.jar (1.2.16).
>>>
>>> 5. Edited the pom.xml file from new 'log4j.jar' to include
>>> 'apache-log4j-extras-1.0'. Steps are described here: (
>>> <https://wiki.jasig.org/display/UPM30/log4j.xml>
>>> https://wiki.jasig.org/display/UPM30/log4j.xml).
>>>
>>> 6. Created jar file again, after editing pom.xml.
>>>
>>> 7. Then I added following configuration block, in my application
>>> specific log-conf.xml (present in ~/WEB-INF/etc/):
>>>
>>> <!-- Presentation Server Access log appender -->
>>>
>>> <appender name="access-log"
>>> class="org.apache.log4j.rolling.RollingFileAppender">
>>>
>>>      <File>WEB-INF/log-files/access.log</File>
>>>
>>>      <rollingPolicy
>>> class="org.apache.log4j.rolling.TimeBasedRollingPolicy">
>>>

>>> <FileNamePattern>WEB-INF/log-files/access.log.%d{yyyy-MM-dd}.log</Fil
>>> NamePa
>>> ttern> </rollingPolicy>
>>>
>>>      <layout class="org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout">
>>>
>>>      <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d{dd.MM.yyyy
>>> HH:mm:ss,SSS} [%t] %c %x%n %-5p - %m%n"/> </layout>
>>>

>>> </appender> but, still I am getting following exception:
>>>

>>> 7202 [main] WARN net.cp.ps.sdk.server.ServerConfig - thread[main]
>>> Unable to parse invite request mappings: [The
>> XPath='invite-requests/invite-mapping'
>>> does not exist]
>>>
>>> 7214 [main] WARN net.cp.ps.sdk.server.ServerConfig - thread[main]
>>> Unable to parse known profiles request mappings: [The
>>> XPath='known-profiles-requests/known-profiles-mapping' does not
>>> exist]
>>>
>>> 8114 [main] ERROR net.cp.ps.sdk.server.ServerConfig - thread[main]
>>> Missing
>>> configuration: couldn't find value for
>>> /ps-conf/regex-whitespace-keyword
>>>
>>> log4j:ERROR Could not create an Appender. Reported error follows.
>>>
>>> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
>>> org.apache.log4j.rolling.RollingFileAppender
>>>
>>> at
>>> org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoa
>>> d
>>> er.jav