From <Kenneth....@barclayscapital.com>
Subject Extra RollingFileAppender with NLOG4j
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2010 15:55:29 GMT
I'm trying to get the RollingFileAppender from the extra log4j companion file working but I'm
having problems configuring the appender.  I am using this with the most current version of
NLOG4J

The following is my config file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/">
    <appender name="console" class="org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender">
        <param name="Target" value="System.out"/>
            <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%-5p %c{1} - %m%n"/>
        </layout>
    </appender>

    <appender name="logFileAppender" class="org.apache.log4j.rolling.RollingFileAppender">
        <rollingPolicy class="org.apache.log4j.rolling.TimeBasedRollingPolicy">
            <param name="FileNamePattern" value="/log/metrics.%d{yyyy-MM-dd-HH}.log" />
        </rollingPolicy>
            <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%m%n" />
        </layout>
    </appender>

    <!--         -->
    <!-- Loggers -->
    <!--         -->
    <logger name="com.barcap.eq.common.metric.LoggingMetric" additivity="false">
        <level value="INFO" />
        <appender-ref ref="console" />
        <appender-ref ref="logFileAppender" />
    </logger>

    <root>
        <priority value ="debug" />
        <appender-ref ref="console" />
    </root>

</log4j:configuration>

At startup, I get the following errors:
log4j:ERROR Element type "rollingPolicy" must be declared.
log4j:ERROR The content of element type "appender" must match "(errorHandler?,param*,layout?,filter*,appender-ref*)".

If I attempt to write to the appender, I then get:
log4j:WARN Please set a rolling policy for the RollingFileAppender named 'logFileAppender'
log4j:ERROR No output stream or file set for the appender named [logFileAppender].

I think the issue is that the rollingPolicy element isn't defined in log4j.dtd but I'm not
sure how to proceed with this.  Is NLOG4J not compatible with the companion jar?

Thanks.

This e-mail may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise protected
to the foregoing.  Barclays Capital is the investment banking division of Barclays Bank PLC,
Place, London, E14 5HP.  This email may relate to or be sent from other members of the Barclays
Group.