From Ari King <ari.brandeis.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Help understanding Log4j basics
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2010 17:26:02 GMT
>> 2. How does one stop log4j in a webapp?
>
> Configure it via log4j config, then restart webapp (this reloads configuration)

After reviewing the manual, as I understand it the way to turn "off"
logging is by not assigning a log level or assigning a high (error or
fatal) log level. But doesn't that leave open the possibility of
having log messages, albeit of a higher level i.e. error or fatal?

>> 3. Is there a way to specify which level of logging, i.e. debug, info,
>> error, is printed?
>
> Yes, via the log4j configuration file.
> http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/manual.html
> (search for configuration)

I've previously searched the manual and I understand the hierarchy of:
DEBUG < INFO < WARN < ERROR < FATAL
However, I'm interested in in learning if there is a way to print ONLY
one level rather than the target level and all levels above it. Unless
I've missed it, the manual does not explain if this is possible (or
how to do it).

Best,
Ari