From "Stadelmann Josef" <josef.stadelm...@axa-winterthur.ch>
Subject AW: does log4j support wildcard
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2010 11:06:18 GMT
But is that given solution a real wildcard? "${user.dir}/../logs/eco" I guess no.

1.${user.dir} muts be define dpreviously or it comes implementation dependent as ""
2. and this may lead to errors
3. then /../ directs to go up in the tree one level
4. before you go down in the tree to /logs/eco

Given ${user.dir} is not defined when used, what is the outcome?

${user.dir} must be a property may be a macro which is defined prior to beeing used.

But if you say C:\ > dir stade*.doc then the "*" is a true wildcard saying
that anything wild after "stade" can stay unless the dot is received from
where on only files with a doc extension will be listed in the directory
command.

So
stade1.doc
stade2.doc
stadeX.doc
but not
stadeN.dot

are listed

Also id ${user.dior} would be something like 112345 (as possible for wildcards)
Would that make sense in the wanted use and context? No, so I would not refer to
${user.dir} as to a widlcard, even ${user.dir} migth be defined to a valid user
On most OS and platforms, but have to lead/form part of a TRUE PATH in the end.

While this is not necessary for a true wildcard character.

Or do we have to re-define what wildcards are?

Josef

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----