From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Setting properties for log4j.xml configuration file
Date Mon, 21 Feb 2011 04:30:57 GMT
XML entity references can be used for that purpose and are defined in the XML Recommendation
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#sec-references).

<!DOCTYPE log4j:configuration
[
<!ENTITY logdir "c:/data/logfiles">
]>
<log4j:configuration>
<param name="file" value="&logdir;"/>
</log4j:configuration>

On Feb 20, 2011, at 6:35 AM, Thomas Wiedmann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> usually in flat plain text log4j.config files global system properties can be defined,
which may be referenced in the configuration of different appenders, e. g.

> log4j.logdir=C:/Data/logfiles
> log4j.appender.MyAppender1.File=${log4j.logdir}/MyAppender1.log
> log4j.appender.MyAppender2.File=${log4j.logdir}/MyAppender2.log
>
> I found this is a very convenient way to define (and to administer) such parameters only
once globally for the entire log configuration and to use it on several references as here
in the appenders configuration.