From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Setting properties for log4j.xml configuration file
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2011 04:54:31 GMT
I read the question as "how do I define parameters once" in an XML configuration file and the
use of system properties was just a convenient way of doing that in property file configurations.
 The property file example included setting log4j.logdir in the file and I'm not aware of
any capability in XML configuration files to set system properties.  If the property was already
set externally, then you could use the same type of expressions as in the example.

(http://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#sec-references).

>> <!DOCTYPE log4j:configuration
>> [
>> <!ENTITY logdir "c:/data/logfiles">
>> ]>
>> <log4j:configuration>
>> <param name="file" value="&logdir;"/>
>> </log4j:configuration>
>>
>> On Feb 20, 2011, at 6:35 AM, Thomas Wiedmann wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> usually in flat plain text log4j.config files global system properties can be
defined, which may be referenced in the configuration of different appenders, e. g.

>>> log4j.logdir=C:/Data/logfiles
>>> log4j.appender.MyAppender1.File=${log4j.logdir}/MyAppender1.log
>>> log4j.appender.MyAppender2.File=${log4j.logdir}/MyAppender2.log
>>>
>>> I found this is a very convenient way to define (and to administer) such parameters
only once globally for the entire log configuration and to use it on several references as
here in the appenders configuration.