From Martin Nyolt <a31bd...@freenet.de>
Subject Re: Log4j closes System.err
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:01:48 GMT
On 28.02.2011 15:52, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
>>> If I don't call "app.activateOptions()", the follow-option wouldn't take
>>> effect (and I do need "follow" to be true).
>>> But activateOptions finally calls WriterAppender.reset, which calls
>>> ConsoleAppender.close and closes the previous output stream, in this case
>>> System.err - but closing System.err is not a good idea, as it is still
>>> needed - I just want to change the Follow-Option.
>
> Not being deep into log4j, but in log4php world its necessary in most
> cases to activateOptions on an appender.

That's what I'm doing.  Look at my first mail.

> Looking at the source code, I
> cannot see what you mean - in consoleappender new streams are created,
> the writerappender is doing nothing. Were is it closed? As far as I
> can see only the previous stream is closed, once you set a new one.

But in this case, only the follow option is changed, so the previous (underlying) stream is
the same as the new one. I. e. the stream is closed, so  writing to it fails.

But nevertheless, even if I would change the stream, from say System.err to System.out, the
previous stream shouldn't be closed, as no one could ever write to System.err again.

Martin