From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Log4j closes System.err
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2011 14:52:55 GMT
> No idea, anyone?

Guess most people prefer xml/properties for config - its a bit unusual

>> If I don't call "app.activateOptions()", the follow-option wouldn't take
>> effect (and I do need "follow" to be true).
>> But activateOptions finally calls WriterAppender.reset, which calls
>> ConsoleAppender.close and closes the previous output stream, in this case
>> System.err - but closing System.err is not a good idea, as it is still
>> needed - I just want to change the Follow-Option.

Not being deep into log4j, but in log4php world its necessary in most
cases to activateOptions on an appender. Looking at the source code, I
cannot see what you mean - in consoleappender new streams are created,
the writerappender is doing nothing. Were is it closed? As far as I
can see only the previous stream is closed, once you set a new one.

Cheers,
Christian