From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Log4j closes System.err
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:07:31 GMT
>> Not being deep into log4j, but in log4php world its necessary in most
>> cases to activateOptions on an appender.
>
> That's what I'm doing.  Look at my first mail.

Yes, I wanted to express that this looks correct to me.

>> Looking at the source code, I
>> cannot see what you mean - in consoleappender new streams are created,
>> the writerappender is doing nothing. Were is it closed? As far as I
>> can see only the previous stream is closed, once you set a new one.
>
> But in this case, only the follow option is changed, so the previous
> (underlying) stream is the same as the new one. I. e. the stream is closed,
> so  writing to it fails.
>
> But nevertheless, even if I would change the stream, from say System.err to
> System.out, the previous stream shouldn't be closed, as no one could ever
> write to System.err again.

Think you got me wrong... please look at this file:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4j/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/log4j/ConsoleAppender.java

to activateOptions. You call this and it will set the standard i/o. I
cannot see were it is closed. Can you point me?

cheers