From "Stadelmann Josef" <josef.stadelm...@axa-winterthur.ch>
Subject AW: Chainsaw v2 - do not convert log timestamps to local time zone.
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2011 09:26:32 GMT
To speak the same language, LOCAL Chainsaw and REMOTE service, Chainsaw should in fact make
use of the Time-Zone-Info (if any) in the Log-Event. Only then a local and a remote service
person can talk about the same time. N'either it makes sense if Chainsaw talks in a universal
time GMT and the Service generates a local time stamps. The two. Chainsaw and the service
loggers must use the same time-zoon-info, whatever this is. Having services all over the world
it could be worth speaking in GMT, or any other agreed universal clock. But then the service
logger should stamp in GMT time all the logging-events.

Josef

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Fred Clausen [mailto:fred@derf.nl]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 18. August 2011 11:52
An: log4j-user@logging.apache.org
Betreff: Chainsaw v2 - do not convert log timestamps to local time zone.

Hello,

We have server logs from remote systems in other time zones and it would
be useful if I could get Chainsaw to use the time zone from which the
log files came instead of my local time zone. Then I can directly
compare with other logs on the same remote system.

We are using the log4j XML format - is this something which is supported?

Many thanks,

Fred.