From "Sean A." <sean...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: forcing [root] logging - to a separate appender
Date Sat, 07 Apr 2012 01:23:21 GMT
On 04/03/2012 11:24 AM, BRUNO MELLONI wrote:
> I support a server that uses log4j.  Of the many applications on it, a few dump their
logs as [root] log4j entries.

> I would like to setup a category or even separate appender that allows me to control
and/or separate these bad log entries.  The problem is that I only want to affect things "just
at the root", not every single package in the server.

> How would I write such a category or appender configuration?

	You could try implementing you own filter.  Have your class implement
org.apache.log4j.spi.Filter, and implement the decide() method.  That
gets passed a LoggingEvent, and you can look at getThreadName for root.
  From there you'd need to add that filter in your config to whatever
appender you'd like.
	Hope I understand the issue you're having here.  Maybe you could post
some example log entries to clarify the problem.

		--Sean