From "Jacob Kjome" <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Log4J doesn't work at all
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2012 14:32:58 GMT
> But I don't want to use commons-logging. I want to use log4j.

You are missing the point.  **You** want to use Log4j.  That's fine.  But
HttpClient doesn't directly use Log4j.  It directly uses commons-logging,
which is a Logger adapter that supports various logging implementations, one
of which is Log4j.

If you want to use Log4j, then you ***have*** to use commons-logging.jar, and
NOT commons-logging-api.jar, plus log4j.jar.  To avoid commons-logging (and
some of the problems it can create), you can skip commons-logging.jar and use
SLF4J [1]: jcl-over-slf4j.jar + slf4j-api.jar + slf4j-log4j12.jar +
log4j.jar.  But either way, you can't avoid having the commons-logging
packages/classes (which jcl-over-slf4j.jar mimics) in the classpath because
HttpClient has a hard dependency on it.

> In any case, that System.property stuff didn't help either.

Because it's commons-logging specific and totally irrelevant to Log4j.
Besides, you were setting Log4j packages as properties and that is totally
meaningless.  For instance, you wrote...

  System.setProperty("log4j.logger.org.apache.http.client", "DEBUG");

But HttpClient's instructions say to do (again, read the instructions more
closely)...

System.setProperty("org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.log.org.apache.http.wire",
"DEBUG");

> Part of the code simply gets..... ignored. Why?

Because you are not following instructions.

[1] http://slf4j.org/legacy.html#jcl-over-slf4j

Jake