From Douglas E Wegscheid <Douglas_E_Wegsch...@whirlpool.com>
Subject RE: Initializing log4j in a library
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2012 18:12:44 GMT
if you try this, you will find that it will work just fine, provided you
have a log4j.properties or log4j.xml around....

■ DOUGLAS E. WEGSCHEID // LEAD ENGINEER
(269) 923-5278 // Douglas_E_Wegscheid@whirlpool.com
"A wrong note played hesitatingly is a wrong note. A wrong note played
with conviction is interpretation."

Aidan Delaney <aidan@phoric.eu>
07/18/2012 02:05 PM
Please respond to
"Log4J Users List" <log4j-user@logging.apache.org>

log4j-user@logging.apache.org <log4j-user@logging.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Initializing log4j in a library

Tim,

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/manual.html#Default_Initialization_Procedure

> I've read, and re-read, and tried all the examples.  However, I seem to
be missing how I can create a Logger without -- at some stage -- using a
configurator.

So I can use a BasicConfigurator, or take your suggestion, an use a
log4j.properties and a PropertyConfigurator.

As a minimal working example, should the following work?
import org.apache.log4j.Logger;

public class MyApp {
    static Logger logger = Logger.getLogger(MyApp.class.getName());

        logger.info("Entering application.");

        logger.info("Exiting application.");
    }
}
From my understanding of the documentation, it shouldn't.  In which case,
as I have no mainline in my application, I still think I need to provide
some central place where the Basic/PropertyConfigurator configures the
root log4j logger.

--
Aidan