From Peter DePasquale <peter.depasqu...@gmail.com>
Subject Two classes, logging to the same file...
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2012 00:51:11 GMT
Ok, I'm new, and I'm stumped.  Here's my log4j2 config file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<configuration status="debug">
	<appenders>
		<Console name="Console" target="SYSTEM_OUT">
			<PatternLayout pattern="%d{HH:mm:ss} [%t] %-5level %logger{36} - %msg%n"/>
		</Console>

		<File name="DriversFile" fileName="trace-drivers.txt"
suppressExceptions="false" append="false">
			<PatternLayout pattern="%d{yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss} %p %C [%t] %m%n"/>
		</File>
	</appenders>

	<loggers>
		<logger name="org.comtor.drivers" level="trace" additivity="false">
			<appender-ref ref="DriversFile"/>
		</logger>

		<root level="error">
			<appender-ref ref="Console"/>
		</root>
	</loggers>
</configuration>

Note that the config status="debug". I have two classes that I'm
monkeying with to get Log4J2 working. They are:

org.comtor.drivers.Comtor, and
org.comtor.drivers.ComtorStandAlone

At this point, I'm only using a handful (and I mean small numbers
here) of .trace(), .entry(), and .exit() method calls.

If I do this in file #2 (ComtorStandAlone), I can get the tracing to
write to the file specified in the config file above (as well as DEBUG
statements from log4j2 on the console). Ok, cool. But when I add
logging to the first file (Comtor) thereby in theory logging from two
classes in the program, NOTHING happens. No config file logging to the
console, no output file, nothing.

Am I misunderstanding the capability to have the "org.comtor.drivers"
logger catch, process, and write to the same file? In fact, if I only
create the Logger object in the second file (private static Logger
logger = LogManager.getLogger(Comtor.class.getName());) without
attempting to call .trace(), .entry(), or .exit(), the problem
manifests itself (no output, no file, nothing).

I'd appreciate any insight here, as I'm really at a loss. Thanks.

--
Peter J. DePasquale, Ph.D.
Department of Computer Science