From Jim Patrick <jimm_t...@yahoo.com>
Subject Using FileAppender - Unable to log to a file
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2012 22:49:02 GMT
Hi

I am new to using log4j. I am just trying out a sample Java web application
using  tomcat6.0.18, log4j(log4j1.2.11.jar), Struts, and Eclipse Juno IDE

My Issue - I can see the DEBUG and INFO logs in eclipse console window but
somehow they are not logged to a file. Not sure if I have missed something.
Could someone please help me?

Below is the log4j configuration in my sample application for reference:

1) *log4j.properties:*
I have this file under src folder in my application in eclipse IDE

log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, myDebug, myConsole

# Configure the myConsoleappender
log4j.appender.myConsole=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
log4j.appender.myConsole.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.myConsole.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{yyyy-MMM-dd
HH:mm:ss,SSS} - %p %c - %m%n

# Configure the myDebug appender
log4j.appender.myDebug=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.myDebug.File=/logs/mylog.log
log4j.appender.myDebug.MaxFileSize=100000KB
log4j.appender.myDebug.MaxBackupIndex=1
log4j.appender.myDebug.Threshold=DEBUG
log4j.appender.myDebug.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.myDebug.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{yyyy-MMM-dd HH:mm:ss,SSS}
- %p %c - %m%n

2) *web.xml:*

	<servlet>
		<servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
		<servlet-class>com.vprapplication.struts.VPRActionServlet</servlet-class>
		<init-param>
			<param-name>log4j-properties-location</param-name>
			<param-value>WEB-INF/log4j.properties</param-value>
		</init-param>
		<init-param>
			<param-name>config</param-name>
		</init-param>
		<load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
	</servlet>

Please let me know if any other details are needed.

Thanks in advance,

-Jim Patrick