From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Three things I couldn't find on the Log4j 2 Site
Date Thu, 28 Mar 2013 14:53:50 GMT
On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 4:08 AM, Nick Williams <
nicholas@nicholaswilliams.net> wrote:

> I've been a Log4j 1 user for years and I love it. I'm currently writing a
> book for Java EE 7 + Spring Framework 4 development and one of my chapters
> is on application logging. I was going to cover Log4j 1 and then I stumbled
> upon Log4j 2. It looks like a serious improvement over Log4j 1 and I'm
> quite excited about it. There are three important things that I couldn't
> find on the site (I read the entire manual, and looked at what I thought
> were all of the pages, but it's possible I've missing something). I'm
> hoping someone here can sort it out for me:
>
> 1) How stable is the API at this point? I understand the hazards of beta
> software, but are we talking "it could be drastically different in six
> months" or "chances are it won't change much from here on out?" I don't
> expect a precise answer, just some guidance.
>
> 2) What is the /projected/ GA date? I know that dates are never certain
> with open source software, and I don't expect somebody to tell me that
> it'll be GA on July 21, 2013. But are we talking weeks, months, or upwards
> of a year? If my book goes to press in November of this year, do I risk
> that Log4j 2 isn't out by that time if I include it?
>
> 3) Where is the darned JavaDoc API documentation? I'm quite used to how
> easy it is to find in the Commons, on the Tomcat site, and on the Log4j 1
> site (there's a big link that says "JavaDoc" in the sidebar). But I was
> rather flabbergasted by the fact that I couldn't find any on the Log4j 2
> site. Specifically, I'm looking for the JavaDoc pages for the API, the
> Implementation, and the Commons Logging Bridge.

I have to agree that we or Maven has shot ourselves in the foot with the
Javadoc. How am I supposed to know that I have to dig in a component, then
go under Project Reports to find the Javadoc. This is lame. As nick
mentions there should at LEAST be a link on the main page of at LEAST the
API Javadoc.

Gary