From Remko Popma <rem...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: General config question for Log4J2
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2013 02:32:19 GMT
Peter,

I understand your frustration.
Let me try to help.
I'm at work now, so please understand if I am unable to reply to your messages immediately.

First, I tried to do what you did originally (in your March 25th post), which is a root logger
and a named logger, each having a different level and configured with a different appender.
This didn't work for me (one empty log file).
I'll try to understand exactly what happens and update the docs.

It looks like the level of the named logger determines the filtering, and after that (if additivity
is not switched off), the event is passed to the parent (root) logger without any level checking.
If the named logger filters out the event based on its level, the parent (root) logger won't
even see the event.

Meanwhile, I hope that having one single root logger with multiple appender refs configured
at different levels:
>      <appender-ref ref="InfoFile" level="info" />
>      <appender-ref ref="TraceFile"/>

solves that issue.

I'll look at your code posted on git next.

One thing though:
This project is very much a work in progress. We do our best to create good code and docs,
but we are coming at this from a coder's perspective.
Which is why your feedback is extremely valuable. You are able to point out things that we
missed because of your fresh perspective.
I just wanted to let you know that your questions will improve the product.

So, thank you.
(This may be but small compensation for your frustration, but there it is.)

Best regards,
Remko

Sent from my iPhone