From Peter DePasquale <peter.depasqu...@gmail.com>
Subject Simple test case for logging uner a tomcat web app
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2013 01:13:43 GMT
I continue to struggle achieving basic logging results under my web app
under tomcat. It seemed to work months ago, but when I upgraded to the
latest beta logging failed.

I returned to examine my config and failed to solve the problem. I emailed
this list about this and I received no response. After asking for help a
second time Ralph suggested I post code.

Thus, I have attempted to simplify my problem down and post a VERY SIMPLE
web app that attempts to do trace and error logging.  I was trying to get
this into to separate files, but I'm learning that that's apparently not
really the model I should embrace as a logging novice.

Now I have trace logging going to one file. However, despite the app
running successfully, an empty log file is created.  I can't determine what
I'm doing wrong and seek help one last time on my inability to grasp the
correct form for logging of this nature.

I really don't want to go back to println statements, but if I can't make
this work, I will. My application is my academic research project and I'm
delayed in developing new features because I got mired down in trying to
solve these issues so that I can support logging in my app (seemed smart at
the time).

Regardless, the code is posted here at github. I welcome any help that
anyone can provide by download or visual inspection. I am posting this and
setting away for the night as I can not work on this today any longer.

My setup is a Mac OSX 10.6 running Tomcat 7.0.37 locally. Beyond the basic
apps that Tomcat is preloaded with, this is the only running app.

https://github.com/depasqua/log4j2tester

Thanks. Sorry for my vent.
--
Peter J. DePasquale, Ph.D.