From Remko Popma <rem...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Issue with Tomcat auto-redeploy on Windows.
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2013 08:58:58 GMT

Tushar Kapila <tgkprog <at> gmail.com> writes:

> * why would a lib log4j or any other read its own jar? unless its to get
> to a xml for config in it and is not closing it?

One thing I can think of is PluginManager.
This class tries to read all Log4j2Plugins.dat files in the classpath
(incl the one in the core jar).

If an exception occurs during plugin initialization,
this file is not closed:
the call to inputstream.close is not in a finally block.

o.a.l.l.c.c.p.PluginManager#decode(ClassLoader) line 234

-Remko

> * i would never install to program files as there are permission issues
> on those folders especially with windows 7 try install on c:\apps\ (make
> apps as a new folder)
>
> On 4/18/2013 2:06 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:
> > Not that I am aware of.  If the web app is using the log4j 2 web module

to initialize and destroy its context I
> would expect this to work.
> >
> > Ralph
> >
> > On Apr 17, 2013, at 1:28 PM, Fabien Sanglard wrote:
> >
> >> It seems there is an issue with log4j 2 not closing the core JAR handle

on Windows.
> >> It prevents Tomcat from auto redeploying an app.
> >>
> >> Upon updating an hypothetical DiscoveryService.war in the 'webapps'

folder, the redeploy will fail:

> >> SEVERE: [C:\Program

Files\apache-tomcat-7.0.39\webapps\DiscoveryService\WEB-INF\lib] could
> not be completely deleted. The presence of the remaining files may cause

problems

> >> Upon inspection it looks like:
> >>
> >> C:\Program

Files\apache-tomcat-7.0.39\webapps\DiscoveryService\WEB-INF\lib\log4j-
core-2.0-beta4.jar

> >> Cannot be deleted :/ ! Is there anything special to do so log4j 2 close

the JAR handle ?