From Remko Popma <rem...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: reflection? RE: async logger on slow single core env performs 50% worse than log4j v1
Date Tue, 30 Jul 2013 14:14:19 GMT
It may be possible (but a bit of a hack) to use async loggers without reflection. It involves
compiling your own version of the
com.lmax.disruptor.util.Util class where you replace the implementation of the #getUnsafe()
method with a simple call to sun.misc.Unsafe.getUnsafe().
Obviously this is not pretty and there are no guarantees that you won&#x27;t get a SecurityException
or so next... :-(

You may be better off using AsyncAppender if you want your blocking I/O to happen in another
thread. This may still be beneficial even on a one-core machine.

Back to the difference between log4j-1.2 (20% CPU) and log4j-2.0 (40% CPU).
Are the test programs identical? I remember you mentioned below that you
use MDC with 2.0 but not with 1.2. Can you give a sample of your log4j
usage with 1.2 and with 2.0? (Maybe create a JIRA and attach files to it?)