From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Log4j2: Programmatically setting log4j2 log level
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2013 15:22:32 GMT
I should add that the LoggerConfig and Configuration was one of the first things I worked on
when I started working on 2.0.  Things have changed since then so it might possible to add
a new LoggerConfig to an existing configuration.  I'd have to review it and remind myself
of what the problems were.

Ralph

On Jul 22, 2013, at 2:59 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> Well, you can actually do that.  It is just not my number one recommendation :-)  I'm
pretty sure I have answered how to do that a few times. It just needs to be documented.

> The actual code to do this is
>
>       LoggerContext ctx = (LoggerContext) LogManager.getContext(false);
>
>       Configuration config = ctx.getConfiguration();
>
>       LoggerConfig loggerConfig = config.getLoggerConfig(loggerName);
>
>       loggerConfig.setLevel(level);
>
>       ctx.updateLoggers();
>
> Note that the LoggerConfig returned may not match loggerName - it might be a parent.
 Also, adding a new LoggerConfig to an existing configuration is not allowed as it cannot
be done atomically. In that case you have to create a new configuration.

> Ralph
>

> On Jul 22, 2013, at 2:04 PM, Nicholas Williams wrote:
>
>> I can live with having to use the Core directly to change logger
>> levels, as opposed to using the API. But your solution of cloning,
>> changing, and replacing the configuration seems extremely heavy and
>> excessive for merely changing the level for a single logger. There are
>> a lot of other things that happen as a result that are completely
>> unrelated to changing the level for a logger.
>>
>> Note that org.apache.log4j.Logger from Log4j 1 includes a setLevel
>> method. While I understand that Log4j 1 isn't a separated
>> API/implementation like Log4j 2, users are used to being able to
>> easily change Logger levels, and you WILL (I'm confident) start seeing
>> "Why is this so hard" questions when Log4j 1 sunsets and users start
>> migrating en masse.
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>> I guess I have to disagree. With Logback it is more explicit since SLF4J is its
API.   The more of this stuff that gets added to the API the more difficult it is going to
be to keep the API separate from the implementation.  My view is that the API is primarily
for applications that want to use Log4j to generate Log events.  Doing things to customize
how Appenders, Loggers, Filters, etc work is very much tied to the implementation.  Note that
none of those are exposed in the API today and you would have to to do what you are proposing.

>>> Ralph

Our user

the root Logger. It