From "SMITH, CURTIS" <cs0...@att.com>
Subject RE: async logger on slow single core env performs 50% worse than log4j v1
Date Fri, 26 Jul 2013 21:55:14 GMT
LOL well that's obvious now.  :)  It was more a case of wishful thinking and why not give it
a "try".    But it's still odd that my attempts to slim it down It's still 2x worse than v1.
 Something else is in play.

curt

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Goers [mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com]
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2013 5:34 PM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: async logger on slow single core env performs 50% worse than log4j v1

I'm curious why you are even trying to use Async anything with a single core environment (unless
it is hyper-threaded). Only 1 thread can be active at a time so when you switch threads the
active thread will just stop. This won't gain you any additional throughput but you will still
incur the additional overhead of thread management and locking.

Ralph

On Jul 26, 2013, at 1:55 PM, SMITH, CURTIS wrote:

> I removed  System.setProperty("AsyncLoggerContextSelector", "org.apache.logging.log4j.core.async.AsyncLoggerContextSelector");
> No change in CPU, but going from FastRollingFile to RollingFile I got back 10% of my
lost CPU.  Still at 40% CPU where v1 runs at 20%.

> I would like to get down to the equivalent behavior as we got from log4j v1, then try
v2 features to get it better.  Since I'm still seeing worse performance, I'm guessing that
there's still one or more threads under the hood vs V1 with:  sync Logger and RollingFile.

> Any guesses for me to try?
>
> Tnx curt

is that there's a mis match between v2's async logger thread design that works great on multi-core
envs and this embedded slow single core env...   Sooo I need to try a few different configurations
to see what does run best on a slow single core...

> But I need your tips as to what I might change / tune to get v2 to perform as good or
better than v1 in a single core env.

> FWIW:  log4j v1 ran my standard use case test averaging 20% CPU.  Log4j v2 ran at 50%
CPU, so more than 2x worse.

> Our business logic is highly threaded so any subsystem that has a "hot" thread like this
config that has 5 loggers and 3 appenders I might be shooting myself in the foot.  You know
this new design the best so I'm open as to what to pick and choose from v2 that is likely
to perform the best?

> FYI:  I feel using system properties vs exclusively using declarative configuration all
within the log4j2.xml separates out configuration.  I'd prefer to not have to use system properties
for any configuration.

> My first experiment will be to remove the async logger property.
>
> Any thoughts re the FastRollingFile appender or any other tuning that might be better
for a single core env.  It's a slow Arm v5 or so, pretty old and lacking the better context
switching features of newer chips.  The VM is also slow,  IBM J9 J2ME JDK1.6.   Benchmarking
the J9 vs Oracle J2ME, J9 is real slow and poor at thread context switching.  But you get
what you pay for, J9 is also real cheap.

> ******
> ******
> Note:  the log files are on /tmp a memory FS in our env.  So the worst case of a synchronous
logger from the same thread as the logger.debug call may not perform that badly thanks to
Linux FS buffering and memfs having low latency.  Just mentioning.

> // Manually set the log4j v2 async logger tuning parameters here.  DLA does not have
a system property
>                // property file
>                System.setProperty("AsyncLoggerContextSelector", "org.apache.logging.log4j.core.async.AsyncLoggerContextSelector");
>                System.setProperty("AsyncLogger.RingBufferSize", "128");        // min
size permissable to keep memory low
>                System.setProperty("AsyncLogger.WaitStrategy", "Block");        // less
CPU, better for embedded env
>                System.setProperty("log4j2.disable.jmx", "true");
  // saves on a jmx jar and we don't use JMX anyway

> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <configuration status="trace" level="trace" >  <!-- log4j v2 debug add these:
status="trace" level="trace" -->