From "SMITH, CURTIS" <cs0...@att.com>
Subject RE: reflection? RE: async logger on slow single core env performs 50% worse than log4j v1
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2013 21:40:58 GMT
Hi Ralph, my exception is from the disruptor jar apparently using reflection (below).  How
is that related to the ClassLoaderContextSelector?

I would have guessed that the BasicContextSelector is default???   I'm not setting Log4jContextSelector
so it has to be using some context, wouldn't the default be the simplest?

Is there benefit from me setting:  "Log4jContextSelector" to "org.apache.logging.log4j.core.selector.BasicContextSelector".

FWIW I'm having to give up on async logger because my VM doesn't support reflection, and unless
I'm not understanding this new architecture, this exception says I'm locked out from testing
async logger without reflection.

Tnx curt

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Goers [mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com]
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2013 2:15 PM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: reflection? RE: async logger on slow single core env performs 50% worse than
log4j v1

Yes.  ClassLoaderContextSelector is complicated and probably not at all what you want. it
uses the Sun reflection class, which you've noticed is not installed, and runs slower without
it. I don't think ClassLoaderContextSelector will be of any benefit to you over BasicContextSelector.

On Jul 29, 2013, at 9:05 AM, SMITH, CURTIS wrote:

> Ralph,  Was your comment about BasicContextSelector me and my quest to get V2 to run
as well as V1 on my slow single core J2ME env?

> My test run with AsyncLogger blew up.  This J2ME VM does not have reflection.  Guessing
that disruptor uses reflection to cast methods/objects (bottom).

> This leaves me with just one more experiment to get V2 to perform as well as V1:  RollingFile
with bufferedIO=false

> RE: MDC, no we'll not use any location info, just passing values like username (example)
and similar  constant values from each transaction initiation into the log.

> [...]
>        at java.lang.reflect.AccessibleObject.invokeV(AccessibleObject.java:195)
>        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:242)
>        at com.prosyst.mbs.impl.framework.Start.processFrameworkLaunch(Start.java:196)
>        at com.prosyst.mbs.impl.framework.Start.main(Start.java:82)
> Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unexpected error building Logger: null
>        at com.att.dlc.logging.LoggerFactory.buildLogger(LoggerFactory.java:92)
>        at com.att.dlc.logging.LoggerFactory.getLogger(LoggerFactory.java:34)
>        at com.att.dlc.osgi.Activator.<clinit>(Activator.java:120)
>        at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initializeImpl(Native Method)
>        at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initialize(J9VMInternals.java:211)
>        ... 19 more
>        at java.lang.reflect.AccessibleObject.invokeV(AccessibleObject.java:197)
>        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:204)
>        at com.att.dlc.logging.LoggerFactory.buildLogger(LoggerFactory.java:89)
>        ... 23 more
> Caused by: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
>        at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initialize(J9VMInternals.java:233)
>        at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.async.AsyncLogger.calculateRingBufferSize(AsyncLogger.java:123)
>        at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.async.AsyncLogger.<clinit>(AsyncLogger.java:89)
>        at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initializeImpl(Native Method)
>        at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initialize(J9VMInternals.java:211)
>        at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.async.AsyncLoggerContext.newInstance(AsyncLoggerContext.java:51)
>        at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.LoggerContext.getLogger(LoggerContext.java:274)
>        at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.LoggerContext.getLogger(LoggerContext.java:255)
>        at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.LoggerContext.getLogger(LoggerContext.java:51)
>        at org.apache.logging.log4j.LogManager.getLogger(LogManager.java:364)
>        at com.att.dlc.logging.Log4jLogger.<init>(Log4jLogger.java:38)
>        at com.att.dlc.logging.Log4jLogger.<init>(Log4jLogger.java:46)
>        at java.lang.reflect.AccessibleObject.invokeV(AccessibleObject.java:195)
>        ... 25 more
> Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to load unsafe
>        at com.lmax.disruptor.util.Util.<clinit>(Util.java:112)
>        at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initializeImpl(Native Method)
>        at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initialize(J9VMInternals.java:211)
>        ... 37 more
> Caused by: java.security.PrivilegedActionException: java.lang.NoSuchFieldException: theUnsafe
>        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:259)
>        at com.lmax.disruptor.util.Util.<clinit>(Util.java:108)
>        ... 39 more
> Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchFieldException: theUnsafe
>        at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredFieldImpl(Native Method)
>        at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredField(Class.java:487)
>        at com.lmax.disruptor.util.Util$1.run(Util.java:102)
>        at com.lmax.disruptor.util.Util$1.run(Util.java:99)
>        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:255)

cases where defaulting to BasicContextSelector also makes sense.

> Ralph
>
> On Jul 29, 2013, at 8:02 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:
>
>> In your environment I would definitely recommend using BasicContextSelector as you
are unlikely to have need for multiple LoggerContexts.

>> Ralph
>>
>> On Jul 29, 2013, at 7:08 AM, SMITH, CURTIS wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys,  I mentioned this observation last week, that my embedded single core
env, the VM also does not support reflection.  Is reflection used in the hot path of logging
that might be affecting my testing of V2 using more CPU than v1?

>>> I get this log at VM startup time.
>>>
>>> Curt
>>> ------------------------
>>>

>>> package org.apache.logging.log4j.core.selector;
>>>
>>> public class ClassLoaderContextSelector implements ContextSelector {
>>>
>>> private static void setupCallerCheck() {
>>> 223         try {
>>> 224             final ClassLoader loader = Loader.getClassLoader();
>>> 225             final Class clazz = loader.loadClass("sun.reflect.Reflection");
>>> 226             final Method[] methods = clazz.getMethods();
>>> 227             for (final Method method : methods) {
>>> 228                 final int modifier = method.getModifiers();
>>> 229                 if (method.getName().equals("getCallerClass") &&
Modifier.isStatic(modifier)) {
>>> 230                     getCallerClass = method;
>>> 231                     break;
>>> 232                 }
>>> 233             }
>>> 234         } catch (final ClassNotFoundException cnfe) {
>>> 235             LOGGER.debug("sun.reflect.Reflection is not installed");   //
ïâ√ıÆ‚----------------------------
>>> 236

to your application threads:̭ AsyncLoggers, AsyncAppenders, o.a.l.l.c.net.SocketServer,̭
o.a.l.l.c.net.UDPSocketServer anḓ o.a.l.l.c.helpers.*CachedClock
>>> * synchronous logging will not create any threads
>>> * RollingFile creates a short-lived thread for the roll-over, *only*̭ if
the old file needs to be compressed to a .zip or .gz file (the file rename action is synchronous)

>>> So I'm thinking that the difference in CPU usage is caused by something other
than threads or async logging.
>>> I'd be interested in your answers to my questions below.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Remko
>>>

>>> ________________________________

you describe, so this is great feedback, thanks!

>>> First, configuration via XML instead of sys props is on the todo list.
>>>
>>> Second, you mentioned you use system property "AsyncLoggerContextSelector" to
switch on AsyncLoggers.
>>> This is incorrect. The correct key is "Log4jContextSelector" (and that would
explain why removing this setting made no difference).

>>> Third, if I understand correctly you are essentially logging to a memory-mapped
file. In that case any buffering is just wasting CPU resources, so you should not use the
Fast*File appenders as their buffering cannot be switched off. (Non-Fast) FileAppenders also
use bufferedIO=true by default, but you can switch this off in config. I would expect this
to save some CPU.

>>> On that note, you mentioned CPU usage as your performance measure. Is that the
most important number? Do you have any throughput/latency goals?
>>> Do you have any tools on your platform to see what the CPU is doing? Which threads
are busy for example?

>>> In terms of GC, making all loggers Async has a small benefit in that it re-uses
log event objects.

>>> I am still intrigued by the difference in CPU usage you mention between log4j-1.2
and 2.0. Is your application code exactly the same? Or do you use the pattern formats that
are now available in log4j-2.0?

>>> Regards,
>>> Remko
>>>

>>> ________________________________

and why not give it a "try".̭  ̭  But it's still odd that my attempts to slim it down
It's still 2x worse than v1.̭  Something else is in play.

>>> curt

environment (unless it is hyper-threaded). Only 1 thread can be active at a time so when you
switch threads the active thread will just stop. This won't gain you any additional throughput
but you will still incur the additional overhead of thread management and locking.

>>> Ralph

10% of my lost CPU.̭  Still at 40% CPU where v1 runs at 20%.

v1, then try v2 features to get it better.̭  Since I'm still seeing worse performance,
I'm guessing that there's still one or more threads under the hood vs V1 with:̭  sync
Logger and RollingFile.

̭  My view is that there's a mis match between v2's async logger thread design that works
great on multi-core envs and this embedded slow single core env...̭ ̭  Sooo I need
to try a few different configurations to see what does run best on a slow single core...

as good or better than v1 in a single core env.

 Log4j v2 ran at 50% CPU, so more than 2x worse.

like this config that has 5 loggers and 3 appenders I might be shooting myself in the foot.̭
 You know this new design the best so I'm open as to what to pick and choose from v2 that
is likely to perform the best?

configuration all within the log4j2.xml separates out configuration.̭  I'd prefer to not
have to use system properties for any configuration.

be better for a single core env.̭  It's a slow Arm v5 or so, pretty old and lacking the
better context switching features of newer chips.̭  The VM is also slow,̭  IBM J9
J2ME JDK1.6.̭ ̭  Benchmarking the J9 vs Oracle J2ME, J9 is real slow and poor at thread
context switching.̭  But you get what you pay for, J9 is also real cheap.

worst case of a synchronous logger from the same thread as the logger.debug call may not perform
that badly thanks to Linux FS buffering and memfs having low latency.̭  Just mentioning.

does not have a system property
"org.apache.logging.log4j.core.async.AsyncLoggerContextSelector");
"128");̭  ̭  ̭  ̭  // min size permissable to keep memory low
"Block");̭  ̭  ̭  ̭  // less CPU, better for embedded env
"true");̭  ̭  ̭  ̭  ̭  ̭  ̭  ̭  ̭  ̭  ̭ ̭
 // saves on a jmx jar and we don't use JMX anyway

debug add these: status="trace" level="trace" -->
name="DLA"
 ̭  fileName="/tmp/att/sync/log/dla.log"
 ̭  filePattern="/tmp/att/sync/log/dla.log.%i" append="true">
 ̭  <PatternLayout>
 ̭  ̭  ̭  ̭  ̭  <pattern>[%d][%-5p][%-15t][%-15c{1}]:%m%n</pattern>
 ̭  </PatternLayout>
 ̭  <Policies>
 ̭  ̭  ̭  ̭  ̭  <SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy size="3 MB" />
 ̭  </Policies>
 ̭  <DefaultRolloverStrategy max="2" />
name="DEVICES"
 ̭  fileName="/tmp/att/sync/log/dla_devices.log"
 ̭  filePattern="/tmp/att/sync/log/dla_devices.log.%i" append="true">
 ̭  <PatternLayout>
 ̭  ̭  ̭  ̭  ̭  <pattern>[%d][%-5p][%-15t][%-15c{1}]:%m%n</pattern>
 ̭  </PatternLayout>
 ̭  <Policies>
 ̭  ̭  ̭  ̭  ̭  <SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy size="3 MB" />
 ̭  </Policies>
 ̭  <DefaultRolloverStrategy max="1" />
name="VIDEO"
 ̭  fileName="/tmp/att/sync/log/dla_video.log"
 ̭  filePattern="/tmp/att/sync/log/dla_video.log.%i" append="true">
 ̭  <PatternLayout>
 ̭  ̭  ̭  ̭  ̭  <pattern>[%d][%-5p][%-15t][%-15c{1}]:%m%n</pattern>
 ̭  </PatternLayout>
 ̭  <Policies>
 ̭  ̭  ̭  ̭  ̭  <SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy size="3 MB" />
 ̭  </Policies>
 ̭  <DefaultRolloverStrategy max="1" />
target="SYSTEM_OUT">
 ̭  <PatternLayout pattern="%d %-5p [%t] %C{2} (%F:%L) - %m%n" />
additivity="false" >
 ̭  <appender-ref ref="DLA" />
additivity="false" level="debug">
 ̭  <appender-ref ref="DEVICES" />
additivity="false" level="debug">
 ̭  <appender-ref ref="DEVICES" />
additivity="false" level="debug">
 ̭  <appender-ref ref="VIDEO" />
additivity="false" level="debug">
 ̭  <appender-ref ref="VIDEO" />
 ̭  <appender-ref ref="DLA" />

>>> ╒¢ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ╒╒¥FÔ
> Vç7V'67&Ë∫&RÃ≠RÈÈË∫Ã∞¢Ã∫ösF¢★W6W"★Vç7V'67&Ë∫&TÃ∫övvË∫ÃœrÃœ6â√«RÜ÷&p╒¤f÷"FF˲FË∫öÜÃ≠6öÈÈÃœG2Ã≠RÈÈË∫Ã∞¢Ã∫ösF¢★W6W"Èâ√«VÃΩÃ∫övvË∫ÃœrÃœ6â√«RÜ÷&pâ•’

> ‹¢ÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒÒ‹‹¥Fò
Vç7V'67&ˆ&RÂRÖֈâÆösF¢◊W6W"◊Vç7V'67&ˆ&TÆövvˆæræ6∫Ræ÷&p‹¤f÷"FF˜FˆöæÂ6öÖÖæG2ÂRÖֈâÆösF¢◊W6W"Ö∫VÇÆövvˆæræ6∫Ræ÷&p‹