From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: reflection? RE: async logger on slow single core env performs 50% worse than log4j v1
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2013 22:41:40 GMT
The exception with the Disruptor wouldn't be. It basically means you cannot use the Async Loggers.
The benefit to using the BasicContextSelector is that it is lighter weight and you won't get
the warning about the Sun Reflection class being missing.]

I have not tested with J2ME so I can't really say what will work and what won't.

Ralph

On Jul 29, 2013, at 2:40 PM, SMITH, CURTIS wrote:

> Hi Ralph, my exception is from the disruptor jar apparently using reflection (below).
 How is that related to the ClassLoaderContextSelector?

> I would have guessed that the BasicContextSelector is default???   I'm not setting Log4jContextSelector
so it has to be using some context, wouldn't the default be the simplest?

> Is there benefit from me setting:  "Log4jContextSelector" to "org.apache.logging.log4j.core.selector.BasicContextSelector".
>
> FWIW I'm having to give up on async logger because my VM doesn't support reflection,
and unless I'm not understanding this new architecture, this exception says I'm locked out
from testing async logger without reflection.

> Tnx curt

it uses the Sun reflection class, which you've noticed is not installed, and runs slower without
it. I don't think ClassLoaderContextSelector will be of any benefit to you over BasicContextSelector.

> On Jul 29, 2013, at 9:05 AM, SMITH, CURTIS wrote:
>
>> Ralph,  Was your comment about BasicContextSelector me and my quest to get V2 to
run as well as V1 on my slow single core J2ME env?

>> My test run with AsyncLogger blew up.  This J2ME VM does not have reflection.  Guessing
that disruptor uses reflection to cast methods/objects (bottom).

>> This leaves me with just one more experiment to get V2 to perform as well as V1:
 RollingFile with bufferedIO=false

>> RE: MDC, no we'll not use any location info, just passing values like username (example)
and similar  constant values from each transaction initiation into the log.

> [...]
>>       at com.prosyst.mbs.impl.framework.module.boot.BootImpl.processDefaultBoot(BootImpl.java:163)
>>       at com.prosyst.mbs.impl.framework.module.boot.BootImpl.start(BootImpl.java:93)
>>       at com.prosyst.mbs.impl.framework.FrameworkLauncher.start(FrameworkLauncher.java:1194)
>>       at com.prosyst.mbs.impl.framework.FrameworkLauncher.finishLaunch(FrameworkLauncher.java:501)
>>       at com.prosyst.mbs.impl.framework.FrameworkLauncher.launch(FrameworkLauncher.java:476)
>>       at java.lang.reflect.AccessibleObject.invokeV(AccessibleObject.java:195)
>>       at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:242)
>>       at com.prosyst.mbs.impl.framework.Start.processFrameworkLaunch(Start.java:196)
>>       at com.prosyst.mbs.impl.framework.Start.main(Start.java:82)
>> Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unexpected error building Logger: null
>>       at com.att.dlc.logging.LoggerFactory.buildLogger(LoggerFactory.java:92)
>>       at com.att.dlc.logging.LoggerFactory.getLogger(LoggerFactory.java:34)
>>       at com.att.dlc.osgi.Activator.<clinit>(Activator.java:120)
>>       at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initializeImpl(Native Method)
>>       at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initialize(J9VMInternals.java:211)
>>       ... 19 more
>> Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
>>       at java.lang.reflect.AccessibleObject.invokeV(AccessibleObject.java:197)
>>       at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:204)
>>       at com.att.dlc.logging.LoggerFactory.buildLogger(LoggerFactory.java:89)
>>       ... 23 more
>> Caused by: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
>>       at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initialize(J9VMInternals.java:233)
>>       at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.async.AsyncLogger.calculateRingBufferSize(AsyncLogger.java:123)
>>       at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.async.AsyncLogger.<clinit>(AsyncLogger.java:89)
>>       at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initializeImpl(Native Method)
>>       at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initialize(J9VMInternals.java:211)
>>       at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.async.AsyncLoggerContext.newInstance(AsyncLoggerContext.java:51)
>>       at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.LoggerContext.getLogger(LoggerContext.java:274)
>>       at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.LoggerContext.getLogger(LoggerContext.java:255)
>>       at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.LoggerContext.getLogger(LoggerContext.java:51)
>>       at org.apache.logging.log4j.LogManager.getLogger(LogManager.java:364)
>>       at com.att.dlc.logging.Log4jLogger.<init>(Log4jLogger.java:38)
>>       at com.att.dlc.logging.Log4jLogger.<init>(Log4jLogger.java:46)
>>       at java.lang.reflect.AccessibleObject.invokeV(AccessibleObject.java:195)
>>       ... 25 more
>> Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to load unsafe
>>       at com.lmax.disruptor.util.Util.<clinit>(Util.java:112)
>>       at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initializeImpl(Native Method)
>>       at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initialize(J9VMInternals.java:211)
>>       ... 37 more
>> Caused by: java.security.PrivilegedActionException: java.lang.NoSuchFieldException:
theUnsafe
>>       at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:259)
>>       at com.lmax.disruptor.util.Util.<clinit>(Util.java:108)
>>       ... 39 more
>> Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchFieldException: theUnsafe
>>       at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredFieldImpl(Native Method)
>>       at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredField(Class.java:487)
>>       at com.lmax.disruptor.util.Util$1.run(Util.java:102)
>>       at com.lmax.disruptor.util.Util$1.run(Util.java:99)
>>       at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:255)
>>       ... 40 more

use cases where defaulting to BasicContextSelector also makes sense.

>> Ralph
>>
>> On Jul 29, 2013, at 8:02 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:
>>
>>> In your environment I would definitely recommend using BasicContextSelector as
you are unlikely to have need for multiple LoggerContexts.

>>> Ralph

core env, the VM also does not support reflection.  Is reflection used in the hot path of
logging that might be affecting my testing of V2 using more CPU than v1?

Ã∞¯ââ√˚ıÃ∫â•˚----------------------------

Modifier.isStatic(modifier)) {
  // Ã∞¯ââ√˚ıÃ∫â•˚----------------------------

addition to your application threads:Ã∞â≈  AsyncLoggers, AsyncAppenders, o.a.l.l.c.net.SocketServer,Ã∞â≈
 o.a.l.l.c.net.UDPSocketServer andÃ∞â≈  o.a.l.l.c.helpers.*CachedClock
 if the old file needs to be compressed to a .zip or .gz file (the file rename action is synchronous)

you describe, so this is great feedback, thanks!

explain why removing this setting made no difference).

file. In that case any buffering is just wasting CPU resources, so you should not use the
Fast*File appenders as their buffering cannot be switched off. (Non-Fast) FileAppenders also
use bufferedIO=true by default, but you can switch this off in config. I would expect this
to save some CPU.

the most important number? Do you have any throughput/latency goals?

and 2.0. Is your application code exactly the same? Or do you use the pattern formats that
are now available in log4j-2.0?

of wishful thinking and why not give it a "try".Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   But it's still odd
that my attempts to slim it down It's still 2x worse than v1.Ã∞â≈   Something else is
in play.

environment (unless it is hyper-threaded). Only 1 thread can be active at a time so when you
switch threads the active thread will just stop. This won't gain you any additional throughput
but you will still incur the additional overhead of thread management and locking.

"org.apache.logging.log4j.core.async.AsyncLoggerContextSelector");
back 10% of my lost CPU.Ã∞â≈   Still at 40% CPU where v1 runs at 20%.

v1, then try v2 features to get it better.Ã∞â≈   Since I'm still seeing worse performance,
I'm guessing that there's still one or more threads under the hood vs V1 with:Ã∞â≈
 sync Logger and RollingFile.

 Ã∞â≈   My view is that there's a mis match between v2's async logger thread design
that works great on multi-core envs and this embedded slow single core env...Ã∞â≈  Ã∞â≈
  Sooo I need to try a few different configurations to see what does run best on a slow single
core...

as good or better than v1 in a single core env.

CPU.Ã∞â≈   Log4j v2 ran at 50% CPU, so more than 2x worse.

thread like this config that has 5 loggers and 3 appenders I might be shooting myself in the
foot.Ã∞â≈   You know this new design the best so I'm open as to what to pick and choose
from v2 that is likely to perform the best?

declarative configuration all within the log4j2.xml separates out configuration.Ã∞â≈
  I'd prefer to not have to use system properties for any configuration.

might be better for a single core env.Ã∞â≈   It's a slow Arm v5 or so, pretty old and
lacking the better context switching features of newer chips.Ã∞â≈   The VM is also slow,Ã∞â≈
  IBM J9 J2ME JDK1.6.Ã∞â≈  Ã∞â≈   Benchmarking the J9 vs Oracle J2ME, J9 is real
slow and poor at thread context switching.Ã∞â≈   But you get what you pay for, J9 is
also real cheap.

  So the worst case of a synchronous logger from the same thread as the logger.debug call
may not perform that badly thanks to Linux FS buffering and memfs having low latency.Ã∞â≈
  Just mentioning.

  DLA does not have a system property
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   // property file
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   System.setProperty("AsyncLoggerContextSelector", "org.apache.logging.log4j.core.async.AsyncLoggerContextSelector");
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   System.setProperty("AsyncLogger.RingBufferSize", "128");Ã∞â≈
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   // min size permissable to keep memory low
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   System.setProperty("AsyncLogger.WaitStrategy", "Block");Ã∞â≈
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   // less CPU, better for embedded env
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   System.setProperty("log4j2.disable.jmx", "true");Ã∞â≈
Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈
 Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈  Ã∞â≈   // saves on a jmx jar and we don't use
JMX anyway

log4j v2 debug add these: status="trace" level="trace" -->
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <FastRollingFile name="DLA"
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   fileName="/tmp/att/sync/log/dla.log"
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   filePattern="/tmp/att/sync/log/dla.log.%i"
append="true">
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <PatternLayout>
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <pattern>[%d][%-5p][%-15t][%-15c{1}]:%m%n</pattern>
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   </PatternLayout>
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <Policies>
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy size="3 MB" />
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   </Policies>
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <DefaultRolloverStrategy
max="2" />
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   </FastRollingFile>
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <FastRollingFile name="DEVICES"
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   fileName="/tmp/att/sync/log/dla_devices.log"
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   filePattern="/tmp/att/sync/log/dla_devices.log.%i"
append="true">
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <PatternLayout>
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <pattern>[%d][%-5p][%-15t][%-15c{1}]:%m%n</pattern>
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   </PatternLayout>
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <Policies>
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy size="3 MB" />
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   </Policies>
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <DefaultRolloverStrategy
max="1" />
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   </FastRollingFile>
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <FastRollingFile name="VIDEO"
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   fileName="/tmp/att/sync/log/dla_video.log"
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   filePattern="/tmp/att/sync/log/dla_video.log.%i"
append="true">
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <PatternLayout>
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <pattern>[%d][%-5p][%-15t][%-15c{1}]:%m%n</pattern>
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   </PatternLayout>
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <Policies>
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy size="3 MB" />
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   </Policies>
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <DefaultRolloverStrategy
max="1" />
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   </FastRollingFile>
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <Console name="CO" target="SYSTEM_OUT">
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <PatternLayout
pattern="%d %-5p [%t] %C{2} (%F:%L) - %m%n" />
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   </Console>
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <logger name="com.att.dlc.afm" additivity="false" >
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <appender-ref
ref="DLA" />
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   </logger>
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <logger name="com.att.dlc.devices" additivity="false" level="debug">
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <appender-ref
ref="DEVICES" />
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   </logger>
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <logger name="com.att.dlc.util.serialport" additivity="false"
level="debug">
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <appender-ref
ref="DEVICES" />
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   </logger>
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <logger name="com.att.dlc.webcamserver" additivity="false"
level="debug">
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <appender-ref
ref="VIDEO" />
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   </logger>
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <logger name="com.att.dlc.devices.cameras" additivity="false"
level="debug">
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <appender-ref
ref="VIDEO" />
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   </logger>
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <root level="debug">
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   <appender-ref
ref="DLA" />
  Ã∞â≈   Ã∞â≈   </root>

>> VÃ∞§7V'67&×â√«&RÃ∞â≈ RÃ∞Ë∫Ã∞Ë∫×â√«Ã∞â√ıÃ≠¢Ã∞â√«Ã∞¶sFÃ≠Â¢Ã¢Ë˛â•œW6W"Ã¢Ë˛â•œVÃ∞§7V'67&×â√«&TÃ∞â√«Ã∞¶vv×â√«Ã∞Å„rÃ∞Å„6ââ√˚«RÃ∞Å„Ã∞·&pâ╢â•˙Ã≠¤fÃ∞·"FFÃ—Ë˝F×â√«Ã∞¶Ã∞Å„Ã∞â≈
6Ã∞¶Ã∞Ë∫Ã∞Ë∫Ã∞Å„G2Ã∞â≈ RÃ∞Ë∫Ã∞Ë∫×â√«Ã∞â√ıÃ≠¢Ã∞â√«Ã∞¶sFÃ≠Â¢Ã¢Ë˛â•œW6W"Ã∞Ë∫ââ√˚«VÃ∞ΩÃ∞â√«Ã∞¶vv×â√«Ã∞Å„rÃ∞Å„6ââ√˚«RÃ∞Å„Ã∞·&pâ╢â•˙