From Nick Williams <nicho...@nicholaswilliams.net>
Subject Re: Connection leak with JDBCAppender
Date Fri, 26 Jul 2013 18:31:59 GMT
Yes, this is the intended behavior, and a false-positive on the part of the leak detection.

If the JDBCAppender has to open and close a connection and prepare the same statement for
each logging event (even if it just has to borrow a connection from a pool and prepare the
same statement for each logging event), this could significantly slow down the performance
of the Appender. The reason this isn't a "leak" is because the Appender never gets a new connection
(which would eventually consume your entire pool). It merely re-uses the same connection for
every event. This will perform very well.

I'm open to someone trying to convince me otherwise, but I believe this is the best approach.

Nick