From WebServices Development <WebServices_Developm...@csx.com>
Subject Defining different log4j2.xml configurations based on environment
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2013 11:21:49 GMT
I had posted this on SO and was advised that it may be better to post this question on this
list.

I want to try and use logj2 in my web application. With log4j 1.x, we set-up different configurations
files based on environment and use ServletContextListener to load the appropriate configuration
using a call like

DOMConfigurator.configureAndWatch(logConfigFile, delay);

by passing the config file location.

I was planning on doing the same for log4j2 config file but according to this<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16716556/how-to-specify-log4j-2-x-config-location>
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16716556/how-to-specify-log4j-2-x-config-location )  and
this<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16778986/log4j-only-can-view-error-level-on-my-java-enterprise-application-module-ejb-wi>
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16778986/log4j-only-can-view-error-level-on-my-java-enterprise-application-module-ejb-wi
), it is not possible or advisable to use DOMConfigurator with log4j2.

So, my question is: How can I use different configuration files based on environment with
log4j2?

I am not trying to have separate logfiles for each web application within an EAR, but a separate
config file for each of the environments, so that, for example, I can have DEBUG in dev and
UAT, but not in PROD or can have large file sizes in dev and uat, but not in prod. Like I
mentioned in the question, what we do with version 1 is that we have, say, log4j-dev.xml,
log4j-prod.xml etc. and have a servlet context listener and an env variable such that without
making code changes, when I deploy the app to an env, it picks up correct config.

Thank you

This email transmission and any accompanying attachments may
contain CSX privileged and confidential information intended only
for the use of the intended addressee.  Any dissemination,
distribution, copying or action taken in reliance on the contents
of this email by anyone other than the intended recipient is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error
please immediately delete it and  notify sender at the above CSX
email address.  Sender and CSX accept no liability for any damage
caused directly or indirectly by receipt of this email.