From Avi Zohary <avi.zoh...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Modify how log4J takes location from the stack
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2013 12:04:13 GMT
Thanks Nick.

I'll try that option as well.

Avi

On 11/28/2013 05:44 PM, Nick Williams wrote:
> Avi, there is a simple solution to this:
>
> What other components do (the tag library, the Commons adapter, and the JBoss Logging
project) is, when they create their wrapping logger, they make sure the Log4j logger actually
extends org.apache.logging.log4j.spi.AbstractLogger. That's part of the contract: every implementation
of Logger must extend AbstractLogger. AbstractLogger specifies a method: log(Marker marker,
String fqcn, Level level, Message data, Throwable t). Every log event ultimately goes through
that method. Instead of your wrapping logger calling debug(), info(), etc., it needs to call
this method. Pass the fully-qualified class name of your wrapping logger to the "String fqcn"
parameter.

> For an example of this, take a look at JBoss Logging's org.jboss.logging.Log4j2Logger
[1] and how it is used by the DelegatingBasicLogger [2].

> Hope this helps,
>
> Nick
>
> [1] https://github.com/beamerblvd/jboss-logging/blob/JBLOGGING-95/src/main/java/org/jboss/logging/Log4j2Logger.java
> [2] https://github.com/beamerblvd/jboss-logging/blob/JBLOGGING-95/src/main/java/org/jboss/logging/DelegatingBasicLogger.java
>
> On Nov 28, 2013, at 1:41 AM, Avi Zohary wrote:
>
>> I was actually considering extending the Log4JLogEvent, and overriding the calcLocation
method according to my needs, and setting my instance of LogEventFactory which will return
the extended Log4JLogEvent instead of the original.

>> Makes sense?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Avi
>>

>> On 11/27/2013 04:52 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
>>> Well, I think this would require either for you to compute the location
>>> yourself, or, provide a patch to change Log4j to be able to parametrize it
>>> and surface it to the API.
>>>
>>> Gary

>> --
>> Thanks