From Oswaldo Caballero <osw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Log4j2 databaseAppender does not write to the database. It was working before!
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2013 16:01:45 GMT
On 13-12-06 10:51 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Can you try with the current version please, beta 9?
>
> Gary
>

> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Oswaldo Caballero <oswcab@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> First of all, sorry if I'm posting to the wrong list. If that's the case,
>> I'll be grateful if someone redirects me to the correct list.
>>
>> Well, my problem is with the databaseAppender in log4j2 beta 8. It was
>> working OK two weeks ago but now it does not write to the log table. I must
>> say that I'm using a pretty standard XML configuration file where I have a
>>   FastRollingFile (which works perfectly)  and the databaseAppender. The
>> file looks like this:
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>> <configuration status="trace">
>>      <appenders>
>>          <Console name="Console" target="SYSTEM_OUT">
>>              <PatternLayout pattern="%d{HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%t] %-5level
>> %logger{36} - %msg%n"/>
>>          </Console>
>>          <FastRollingFile name="FastRollingFile" fileName="/home/oswcab/
>> workspace/harvester/logs/harvester.log"
>> filePattern="logs/$${date:yyyy-MM}/harvester-%d{yyyy-MM-dd}-%i.log.gz">
>>              <PatternLayout pattern="%d [%t] %-5level %logger{36} - %L %M -
>> %msg%n"/>
>>              <Policies>
>>                  <TimeBasedTriggeringPolicy/>
>>                  <SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy size="50 MB"/>
>>              </Policies>
>>              <DefaultRolloverStrategy max="20"/>
>>          </FastRollingFile>
>>          <JDBC name="databaseAppender" tableName="harvester.logs">
>>              <ConnectionFactory class="ca.umontreal.cenr.quinoa.harvester.DataConnection"
>> method="getConnection"/>
>>              <Column name="Date" isEventTimestamp="true"/>
>>              <Column name="Level" pattern="%level"/>
>>              <Column name="Logger" pattern="%logger"/>
>>              <Column name="Description" pattern="%message"/>
>>              <Column name="Exception" pattern="%ex{full}"/>
>>          </JDBC>
>>      </appenders>
>>      <loggers>
>>          <logger name="ca.umontreal.cenr.quinoa.harvester" level="trace">
>>              <appender-ref ref="FastRollingFile"/>
>>          </logger>
>>          <root level="trace">
>>              <appender-ref ref="databaseAppender"/>
>>          </root>
>>      </loggers>
>> </configuration>
>>
>> The log4j2 logger does not report any error and the databaseAppender is
>> correctly initialized.
>>
>> I've read many times the Configuration and Appenders sections on the
>> online guide and I've tried to change the way the database connection is
>> obtained by replacing the <ConnectionFactory> tag with a <DriverManager>
>> tag:
>>
>> <DriverManager url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/harvester"
>> username="root" password="***" />
>>
>> without success.
>>
>> I've also interchanged the assigned appender on the loggers section:
>>
>> <loggers>
> [...]
Thanks for your (very) quickly answer. I've changed to beta 9 as
suggested, but now I receive an error:

          ERROR Error processing element FastRollingFile: CLASS_NOT_FOUND

         ERROR Unable to locate appender FastRollingFile for logger
ca.umontreal.cenr.quinoa.harvester

The jdbcAppender is initialized correctly as before but nothing is
written to the database.:

        DEBUG Starting JDBCDatabaseManager jdbcManager{
description=databaseAppender, ...

finally, a new message that I have not seen before appears in the logs:

     DEBUG ServletContext not present - WebLookup not added

Thank you,

Oswaldo