From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: log4j2 getting started & rolling files
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2014 14:14:28 GMT

> On 2013/12/30, at 5:34, Joe <joejump@jme.de> wrote:
>
> I found this post while looking for a solution for this problem:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20819376/log4j2-rollingfile-appender-add-custom-info-at-the-start-of-each-logfile
>
> So, Ralph's statement makes me hope:
>> You can already extend this class and override that method to perform work
>> before or after doing super.rollover(fileManager).
>
> Ok, extending DefaultRolloverStrategy is looks easy, like this dummy try:
>

> But I stuck at two things:
> - how to force the RollingFileAppender to use MyRolloverStrategy instead of
> DefaultRolloverStrategy (seems that I have to deal with @Plugin and
> @PluginFactory)?

Yes, that is correct. Your custom strategy needs to have a @Plugin annotation and a static
factory method annotated with @PluginFactory.

In the configuration file you'll specify your custom rollover strategy in a nested Strategy
element of the RolloverAppender configuration.
(See appender page in manual for example config. )

> - how to write to the logfiles within my rollover method?

Instead of just executing a FileRenameAction like DefaultRolloverStrategy does, your action
could do the rename, and create a new file with some data already saved.

> Could you help me at this point?
> I would be happy to get some sample source snippets.
>
> Cheers, Joe

Hope this helps to get you started.
Best regards,
Remko