From Ralph Goers <rgo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Log4j2 Logging to FlumeAppender when Flume agents are down
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2014 16:25:18 GMT
Can you get a stack trace?

Sent from my iPad

> On Feb 20, 2014, at 6:01 AM, Michael Friedmann <mfriedmann@helmpoint.com> wrote:
>
> We are currently using log4j2 version 2.0-RC1-SHAPSHOT.  The FlumeAppender is configured
as an "Avro" appender (i.e. agent is configured only on the Flume side).  We have also been
using Flume 1.4.  What we are seeing is not really a "failover" condition, however.  Admittedly,
we are currently using only one Flume agent and need to configure at least 2 to address failover.
 Still, if the Flume agents are down, this should not cause the application to hang, but it
appears to be the case.

Flume is actually doing all the connectivity so any errors with regards to failover would
be in Flume, not Log4j.

> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Feb 19, 2014, at 2:46 PM, Michael Friedmann <mfriedmann@helmpoint.com> wrote:
>>
>> We are using a FlumeAppender under Log4j2.  Currently, we have one Agent configured.
 If the Flume agent is running, all is well.  However, if the agent goes down, this appears
to cause the application to hang.  We can configure multiple Flume agents for failover, but
I don't believe this addresses the underlying problem (i.e. this should not cause the application
to hang).  Is this a bug in log4j2 - I'll be happy to enter a ticket if that is the case -
or are there configuration settings that would resolve this (that would be my preference).